WhatPulse 2.0.2

Running as admin partially fixes the issue, but only counts some of the keys/clicks, not all. i clicked 10 times really fast and it only counted 4. better then nothing.

EDIT
Correction, it just takes about 10-20 seconds to full register all that you pressed. it gets it all eventually.

Great update!

But any combination which uses ALT-key just counts only one keystroke instead of two.
The MENU-key (next to right CTRL) doesn’t count at all.

okay, ran it with the console and got this – as far as I can see, the thread isn’t started…

"sni-qt/24555" WARN  02:05:30.341 void StatusNotifierItemFactory::connectToSnw() Invalid interface to SNW_SERVICE 
Database check:  "ok" 
Opened database file:  "/home/hsegnitz/.local/share/data/WhatPulse/whatpulse.db" 
Creating device listener for "/dev/input/event0" 
Creating device listener for "/dev/input/event1" 
Creating device listener for "/dev/input/event2" 
Creating device listener for "/dev/input/event3" 
Creating device listener for "/dev/input/event4" 
Creating device listener for "/dev/input/event5" 
Creating device listener for "/dev/input/event6" 
Creating device listener for "/dev/input/event7" 
Creating device listener for "/dev/input/event8" 
Starting NetworkMonitor.. 
NetworkMonitor: Starting interface  3 
pcap thread started on interface  "wlan0" 
WhatPulse has started
Unable to find videocard in our database with vendor  "1002" , device  "7145"  and subsys  "10282002" 
QLayout: Attempting to add QLayout "" to QWidget "", which already has a layout
QPropertyAnimation: you're trying to animate a non-existing property opacity of your QObject

And just installed on my workstation, it still doesn’t find the network adapter at all:

"sni-qt/4982" WARN  13:48:41.524 void StatusNotifierItemFactory::connectToSnw() Invalid interface to SNW_SERVICE 
Database check:  "ok" 
Opened database file:  "/home/hsegnitz/.local/share/data/WhatPulse/whatpulse.db" 
Creating device listener for "/dev/input/event0" 
Creating device listener for "/dev/input/event1" 
Creating device listener for "/dev/input/event2" 
Creating device listener for "/dev/input/event3" 
Creating device listener for "/dev/input/event4" 
Creating device listener for "/dev/input/event5" 
Creating device listener for "/dev/input/event6" 
Creating device listener for "/dev/input/event7" 
Starting NetworkMonitor.. 
WhatPulse has started
QLayout: Attempting to add QLayout "" to QWidget "", which already has a layout
QPropertyAnimation: you're trying to animate a non-existing property opacity of your QObject

Switching user/remote desktop crash issue still not fixed.

http://whatpulse.org/forums/showthread.php?tid=2172&pid=19174#pid19174

No changes.
Still write every second.

System (4), C:\Users\Ariel\AppData\Local\WhatPulse\whatpulse.db, , 22.54 kB/s, 22.54 kB/s, Normal, 1

^whatpulse.db is still writing every second via System, but the actual whatpulse.exe process has stopped writing continuously.

Crashes a lot for me as well (Windows XP (both 32 and 64 bit), Windows 7 x64, Windows 8 x64, Ubuntu 12.10 x64 and Arch Linux x64).

For the “crash on pulse” i noticed that leaving the main window open and pressing the pulse button from there doesn’t crash it while the right click->pulse does.

When i leave it alone it crashes too (sometimes it simply closes without a message other times it starts using all the CPU and doesn’t close till i try to open the main window and while it’s like that it doesn’t count anything anymore (got a feeling it happens when it tries to auto pulse, i’ll disable that and see if it still crashes).

All these since i updated to 2.0.2, the only problem i had with the previous version was the network use (it wasn’t counting my VPN traffic and i lost about 2TB in upload and 1.5TB in download).

If it still crashes after disabling the auto pulse features the only reasons i can think of for those crashes are these:

Seems that rebooting your network card no longer causes WhatPulse to crash, but it doesn’t track bandwidth statistics once the network card starts working again, and even seems to wipe all stats in a current pulse:

Yes, seems pulsing with the main window open does indeed work. Thank you.

Yes same for me!
[hr]
And now it just keeps randomly crashing on Mac OS X Mountain Lion

I’m downloading 2.0.1 again :wink:

I just encountered a crash of the linux64bit 2.0.2 version – the program was frozen… and I luckily had it running in commandline.

I saw about 50 lines of that sqlite3 message with the glibc at the end… and then I killed the process.

however… inbetween those lines, there was a “autopulse on 24 hours” – and the client was frozen at 9 hours uptime, so I assume the sqlite3 error is not the cause of the freeze.

Unable to resolve sqlite3 functions for database backup! 
[... and many more ...]
Autopulse on uptime:  24 
[... and many more ...]
*** glibc detected *** ./whatpulse: malloc(): smallbin double linked list corrupted: 0x0000000003067010 ***
Killed

Thanks alot and good work with this update!

Auto pulse crashes 2.0.2 client on Win7 x64

There is a horrible stupid bug in the pulsing where it disabled to ‘Pulse!’ button when it’s pulsing, but for some reason it doesn’t check whether the pulse button actually exists. I will get an updated version tomorrow to fix that issue. Seems like the most problems are originated from there. Sorry! -_-

Could you do a fast check over the network stats->country / app statistics and uptime->boot / app stats functions too? Since i disabled those and the auto pulses all the crashes seems to be gone (none in about 16 hours), while i had a couple when they were enabled.

Made a pic showing how inaccurate the network tracking ( Mainly uploads ) is for me:

http://i.imgur.com/EldFYQc.png

I initially thought 2.0.2 fixed it but it’s still just as bad as previous versions.

Still far too frequent writes to disk!
I have no long-term measurement as 2.02 fails quite often, but 2.01 writes about 80 MB per hour, which is just below the usage of firefox during active browsing. Any other process is negligible against these numbers. 2.02 does about one half to one third of that - great, but not enough. That not only brings noticeable disk load to HDD users, but also has quite a negative effect on SSDs as well. Not only because of the sum of writes, but because it is done very frequently in very small chunks (below page size), so that the real write amount to the NAND is considerably higher, in the region of 1 GB per day on 24/7 systems.

Unlike other users, my network tracking seems to be pretty spot-on (within +/- 2%).

Thanks for the update. :smiley:

I can verify that network usage now appears to be accurate on linux. I When just about saturating a gigabit link I saw 115 megabytes/sec on whatpulse which is what I would expect for saturating a 1 gig link so that is good. Unfortunately it doesn’t look like CPU usage has decreased at all for me (whatpulse still using 30-40% of one core on a core i7 to monitor network).

I previously reported a start-up crash with WhatPulse 2.0.1 running under Windows in this thread:
http://whatpulse.org/forums/showthread.php?tid=2256&pid=19428

The good news:
WhatPulse 2.0.2 seems to fix this as I can start the application up, complete the initial wizard to sign-in, and everything seems to be working correctly.

The bad news:
It seems to silently crash, usually after a very short period of time (mere minutes after starting). Worse, the same behaviour is also witnessed on my Mac OS X system running WhatPulse 2.0.2 while 2.0.1 was seemingly stable.

A crash log on Windows:
Problem signature
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: whatpulse.exe
Application Version: 2.0.2.0
Application Timestamp: 50f86744
Fault Module Name: whatpulse.exe
Fault Module Version: 2.0.2.0
Fault Module Timestamp: 50f86744
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 00062876
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.1
Locale ID: 3081
Additional Information 1: 0a9e
Additional Information 2: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789
Additional Information 3: 0a9e
Additional Information 4: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

From Mac OS X:
~ /Applications/WhatPulse.app/Contents/MacOS/whatpulse
Database check: “ok”
Opened database file: “/Users/REMOVED/Library/Application Support/WhatPulse/whatpulse.db”
Starting NetworkMonitor…
NetworkMonitor: Starting interface 4
pcap thread started on interface “en0”
WhatPulse has started
QLayout: Attempting to add QLayout “” to QWidget “”, which already has a layout
[1] 37968 segmentation fault /Applications/WhatPulse.app/Contents/MacOS/whatpulse

I should point out that I have two Windows systems and the Exception Offset is always the same in every crash on both systems so it seems to be the same root issue on both in each crash.