WhatPulse 2.0.2

A crash was occuring while pulsing, this has been fixed.
I’ll also be looking into the switching user/remote desktop issue problem.

The OS itself should not write it every second with the normal IO/fsync settings. That said, it will be reduced far more in the upcoming versions.

Hmm I’ll do a few more tests with downloading on Linux. More improvements for this are coming.

Today i noticed that sometimes the client stops to count key presses and mouse clicks but doesn’t crash, the only way to make it count again was to close it and start it again.

Noticed this on Windows 8 x64 and XUbuntu 12.04 32bit.

Also noticed that the network stats are still off (at first it seems to count right but then suddently starts falling back), made some testing downloading Debian isos, the first download went right, the second was about 35% off with the generated traffic

As of today, 2.0.2 now crashes on startup for me at work (Windows XP), so I’ve had to revert to 2.0.1. Reinstalling 2.0.2 doesn’t make a difference.

This error message shows up when I click debug, if it’s worth anything:

Unhandled exception at 0x67ccfd4e in whatpulse.exe: 0xC0000005: Access violation reading location 0x00000004.

My WhatPulse does not work after playing a game still. I have tried running as admin, and it stops working. If you want to know, I have tested it with Need for Speed World launched from the Origin client. I can test other games from Steam later on.

Whatpulse also seems to randomly crash for me. Sometimes it happens twice in a minute and another time I was running my computer for 3 1/2 days straight and no crash. I do like the reduce HDD usage in this version however.

Win 7 Home Premium 64-Bit
Whatpulse 2.0.2
Here’s one crash:
http://pastebin.com/6NxQn8jB

And here’s another:
http://pastebin.com/XFcy0nm1

Hi,

Testing the new 2.0.2 client here on 3 of my machines, as i’d like to get rid of the HD activity every second. The client crashes on all 3 machines now, seems to happen at night, I have them set to auto pulse around midnight and I think thats when its happening (normally i’m asleep!) I’ve switched back to 2.0.1 as this doesn’t have any crashes at all on my systems.

Keep up the great work guys. The new client is great, and has potential to go a long way once these silly bugs are worked out :slight_smile:

Quick Edit: If I try to manually pulse, I also get a crash!

I used to have problems resuming after hibernation but with 2.0.2 it seems the problem is fully fixed
kudos and keep the hardwork!

Still nothing for me.

On one machine I get this:

$ ./whatpulse Database check: "ok" Opened database file: "/home/sathallrin/.local/share/data/WhatPulse/whatpulse.db" Creating device listener for "/dev/input/event0" Creating device listener for "/dev/input/event1" Creating device listener for "/dev/input/event10" Creating device listener for "/dev/input/event11" Creating device listener for "/dev/input/event12" Creating device listener for "/dev/input/event13" Creating device listener for "/dev/input/event14" Creating device listener for "/dev/input/event15" Creating device listener for "/dev/input/event16" Creating device listener for "/dev/input/event2" Creating device listener for "/dev/input/event3" Creating device listener for "/dev/input/event4" Creating device listener for "/dev/input/event5" Creating device listener for "/dev/input/event6" Creating device listener for "/dev/input/event7" Creating device listener for "/dev/input/event8" Creating device listener for "/dev/input/event9" Starting NetworkMonitor.. Failed to open: "/sys/class/net/wlan0/device/vendor" or "/sys/class/net/wlan0/device/device" WhatPulse has started

Which is odd since it doesn’t even have a wireless card.

$ ifconfig
eth0: flags=4163<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,MULTICAST>  mtu 1500
        inet 10.10.10.131  netmask 255.255.255.0  broadcast 10.10.10.255
        inet6 fe80::21f:c6ff:fe30:41a9  prefixlen 64  scopeid 0x20<link>
        ether 00:1f:c6:30:41:a9  txqueuelen 1000  (Ethernet)
        RX packets 1706117  bytes 2033246229 (1.8 GiB)
        RX errors 0  dropped 0  overruns 0  frame 0
        TX packets 980213  bytes 200388635 (191.1 MiB)
        TX errors 0  dropped 0 overruns 0  carrier 0  collisions 0

lo: flags=73<UP,LOOPBACK,RUNNING>  mtu 65536
        inet 127.0.0.1  netmask 255.0.0.0
        inet6 ::1  prefixlen 128  scopeid 0x10<host>
        loop  txqueuelen 0  (Local Loopback)
        RX packets 316351  bytes 563692968 (537.5 MiB)
        RX errors 0  dropped 0  overruns 0  frame 0
        TX packets 316351  bytes 563692968 (537.5 MiB)
        TX errors 0  dropped 0 overruns 0  carrier 0  collisions 0

On another machine I get this:

$ ./whatpulse 
Database check:  "ok" 
Opened database file:  "/home/sathallrin/.local/share/data/WhatPulse/whatpulse.db" 
Creating device listener for "/dev/input/event0" 
Creating device listener for "/dev/input/event1" 
Creating device listener for "/dev/input/event10" 
Creating device listener for "/dev/input/event2" 
Creating device listener for "/dev/input/event3" 
Creating device listener for "/dev/input/event4" 
Creating device listener for "/dev/input/event5" 
Creating device listener for "/dev/input/event6" 
Creating device listener for "/dev/input/event7" 
Creating device listener for "/dev/input/event8" 
Creating device listener for "/dev/input/event9" 
Starting NetworkMonitor.. 
WhatPulse has started

In both of these cases I get the same thing in 2.0.2 and 2.0.1. They both have eth0 as their network interface.

Whatpulse has a very minor effect on SSDs. Reads and Writes can be done on the block level, and are not done on the page level. You are confusing that with deletes, which has to be done on the page level.

We discussed this in depth on this thread: http://whatpulse.org/forums/showthread.php?tid=2008&pid=18208#pid18208

Overall result: Even with an old SSD, it will take several decades of normal WP activity to brick the drive, and only performs about 3% of an ‘low’ daily writes to a drive. Always make sure there is ~20% free on your SSD (general rule) to ensure longevity in all cases.

2.0.2 continues crashing when it tries to autopulse or when you right click on icon and select pulse. Solution is right click, open main window, pres pulse

Which does have more fluctuations due to other programs writing, but, as you can see, has generally a far lower disk usage than with WP running. 2.1k LBAs per minute is only about 1.5 GiB/day…

Closing thread due to 2.0.3: http://whatpulse.org/forums/showthread.php?tid=2488