WhatPulse 2.0.2

Using the feedback we got after 2.0.1, we’ve been working on quite a few things of improvement. I am posting this 2.0.2 version only here (not on the main website) see get some feedback from people who have run into issues on the change-log below. If you have indeed run into one of these issues, please try to upgrade to 2.0.2 (just exit the client and install 2.0.2 over your existing 2.0.1) and provide us with feedback. Thanks!

Download URLs:

Change-log for 2.0.2:

• [Enhancement] Add an option to disable automated pulse notifications

• [Enhancement] Blink tray icon on keyboard or mouse option (plus an option to disable that)

• [Enhancement] Launch Geek Window on startup when it was open upon closing the client

• [Enhancement] Update statistics more often in Geek Window

• [Enhancement] Don’t show notifications when a fullscreen application is running

• [Enhancement] Add the ability to auto detect the system proxy server

• [Enhancement] Don’t write database queries right away, cache them. (saves disk I/O)

• [Enhancement] Make scheduled backups of databases and fall back on backups when main database file gets corrupted

• [Enhancement] Add total account overview (totals + ranks) to account tab

• [Fix] Count uptime more accurately (2.0.1 was about 1% off)

• [Fix] Count bandwidth more accurately

• [Fix] Count bandwidth from and to a proxy server in unpulsed stats (was excluded in previous clients)

• [Fix] Show more accurate network usage on interface overview

• [Fix] Don’t check for updates or internet IP when “Work Offline” is enabled

• [Fix] The ‘Year’ option in the keyboard + mouse heatmap was not the last 12 months, but the current year

• [Fix] Extra precautions for double pulsing

• [Linux - Fix] Some network interfaces were not detected if certain system files did not exist

• [Linux - Enhancement] Optimize application bandwidth measuring (70% less CPU)

• [Windows - Fix] The client crashed when certain applications were running

• [Windows - Fix] Enhance input hook usage (i.e. fullscreen applications, busy CPU)

• [Windows - Enhancement] Ignore system services for application uptime

• [MacOS - Enhancement] Optimize detection of network interfaces (2500% quicker)

• [MacOS - Enhancement] Optimize detection of running processes (120% quicker)

Works well for me. Windows 7 x64 and Mountain Lion.

Thanks for the hard work!

Looks good :slight_smile:

Sadly, after the fix, the network device is listed now, but traffic over the interface still does not count.
I’ve only tested this on my notebook yet. The WLAN adapter is listed too and it’s traffic counts. (I’ve tested it with WLAN disabled to check if LAN counts)

Just installed the new version and the network tracking has definitely improved. However, there are still times where my torrent is uploading @ 1.5mb/s yet WhatPulse says I’m uploading @ half that rate.

It’s just far less random and a bit more accurate than last version which is nice to see.

crashing has increased since update. its on for no more then a minute and it stops responding and crashes. i start it back up again it crashes less then a minute later. ive done this multiple times, now im uninstalling then reinstalling.

EDIT*
Its crashing when i try to pulse. Its Repeatable bug for me.

DirectX/Directinput support would be nice …

would that solve the issue of it not counting keys/clicks when in a game? If so, i completely agree.

Nice update. however, in my About tab, my Total Download/Upload/Uptime are all Unknown. Thanks

EDIT: Whoops! sorry. I guess it filled out those details upon pulse

If it is listed, it will fire up a thread to capture the traffic. You can find the reason for it’s failure in the console log, so please run it via console.

It updates when you pulse.

There is no such thing as DirectX/DirectInput support in listening for events. DirectInput is a way to detect, capture or send input from/to Windows. Windows then sends it to other applications. I saw a previous post where DirectInput was explained as getting the events directly from the hardware, which is not really true. It gets it from a lower level on Windows, same level as the WhatPulse client gets it’s input from.

The client currently gets events when inside games (tested on 7 different platforms, with different games), and has been optimised so it doesn’t get pushed away by another application (like a game).

Is this during an auto pulse, or manual pulse?

Downloaded and installed 2.0.2. at my Mac OS X 10.8.2 (Macbook Pro, 15-inch, start of 2011).

My first notice is that the enormous amount of write actions still continues. My HDD is continuesly writing information (This stops when shutting down WhatPulse). I can’t tell if this is worse or less in comparison to version 2.0.1.

My second notice was that the application crashes when manualy pulsing (I’m not using autopulse and have this option disabled). I’ve installed Growl, but it’s not started when I pulse. In 2.0.1. I’ve had the repeating question of selecting the Growl application. Now at 2.0.2. when pulsing and Growl still stopped it crashes (2.0.2. should have improvements on this). When pulsing it starts to do read request (and still write requests) and after about 3 seconds, it’s crashing.

So, at this moment i’m back at version 2.0.1. because I simply can’t pulse :wink:

Can you check what the console log says if you run it via terminal? There hasn’t been much changes to pulsing, and of course every system/VM with which we’ve tested is working fine…

Can you show me the way? Explain me what to do, and I’ll test it for you.

Simply run /Applications/WhatPulse.app/Contents/MacOS/whatpulse - this will start it just like normal, only you’ll get some debug information in the terminal you’ve started it.

Check!

• STARTING WHATPULSE 2.0.2:

localhost:~ <PROFILE_NAME>$ /Applications/WhatPulse.app/Contents/MacOS/whatpulse
Database check: “ok”
Opened database file: “/Users/<PROFILE_NAME>/Library/Application Support/WhatPulse/whatpulse.db”
Starting NetworkMonitor…
NetworkMonitor: Starting interface 4
pcap thread started on interface “en0”
WhatPulse has started

• AFTER TYPING SOME CHARACTERS, I MANUALLY PULSED AND THE FOLLOWING LINE APPEARED

Segmentation fault: 11

• END OF PROCES :slight_smile:

I’ve tested it with Growl running and Growl not running, but that doesn’t matter. In both scenario’s it’s crashing.

Just noticed a third issue: When the Geek window is active, it disappears when you active an other window. Then it’s nowhere to be found. I need to toggle the Geek window two times before it’s back.

Installed it, but it’s still ot counting my Clicks/Keys for Warcraft III (Windows 7). :frowning:

Fix for this is to run WhatPulse as Admin. But it won’t start by itself (if you restart PC) if you have permament Admin tick on WhatPulse.exe

At least not on my PC.
Have no other issues, for now.