Using Whatpulse Anywhere

Now the thing is i use computers at college alot, and i was wondering without having to install whatpulse on other computers is there no way of recording my keys at college.

Wells ideas like,

Whatpulse that runs of a pendrive, records keys whilst in a pc, which then can only be pulsed on my home computer, hence take it back to my hub pc and then pulse it via my account.

Or via the web? (don’t think this would work though) it recorsd it onto a webpage in which your account is logged in on.

Via web is impossible. 1.5 worked on a pen drive but because of the change to %APPDATA%\WhatPulse, it won’t work on a pendrive anymore unless you remember to copy it over. There will be pendrive compatibility again in the future though.

O so this pen drive compatibilty allowed it to record from any pc you happen to be pugges into then? and pulse it.

Well in 1.5 is saved the WhatPulse.wpw file to where ever the WhatPulse.exe file was. Since that’s changed now, it won’t work on a pen drive unless you copy and paste the .wpw.

I’ll probably just be adding in an setting to ‘Use WhatPulse on a PenDrive’ or something. I’ll talk to wasted about it.

OK thanks, this would mean i wouldn’t loose all my keys and clicks that i do at college :smiley:

Firewall is the issue in my college. WhatPulse isnt allowed on it, and therefore I can’t login into it to collect some keys etc. Its annoying as I am on an IT course and get thousands and thousands of keystrokes everyday at college for my essays. :frowning:

Can i ask how were trying to collect keys at college in the first place? How would it work exactly?

Whatpulse 1.5 was usable on a thumb drive, thus allowing people to use it anywhere they went.

~Century0

Yup! I’d just copy my whatpulse folder onto the jump drive, delete the .wpw files, then I was ready to go! Sure, I’d have to log in to my whatpulse account when I got to school, but as soon as that was done, it was ready to go from then on out.

(Note: You’ll still need a separate profile for the pen drive - treat it like a separate computer, but you can still use it anywhere)

Just the bloody firewall. I wish we could login Offline and then start gathering keystrokes etc. To login the software has to connect online, and I can’t do that without having the firewall allow it, and Ive got no chance of it being added. :frowning:

[quote=X-Kal]Yup! I’d just copy my whatpulse folder onto the jump drive, delete the .wpw files, then I was ready to go! Sure, I’d have to log in to my whatpulse account when I got to school, but as soon as that was done, it was ready to go from then on out.

(Note: You’ll still need a separate profile for the pen drive - treat it like a separate computer, but you can still use it anywhere)[/quote]

Thank but in V1.6s case i don’t delete the .wpw file? as BobL stated the the exe doesn’t generate the .wpw file were it is located.

Those instructions are for version 1.5, not 1.6.

In response to Extr3me’s comment, if you have 1.5, you can do this:

1. Copy the whatpulse folder from your computer to the thumb drive
  2. Close WhatPulse
  3. Delete the .wpw files from the thumb drive (NOT the hard drive)
  4. Run the copy of whatpulse.exe on the thumb drive and treat it as if it’s a new computer, meaning it gets its own pulse profile.

The trick then is that if you’re pulsing the thumb drive from your home computer, you need to close the whatpulse on your hard drive and open the one on the thumb drive.

It’s actually a lot easier than I’m making it sound.

[quote=X-Kal]Those instructions are for version 1.5, not 1.6.

In response to Extr3me’s comment, if you have 1.5, you can do this:

1. Copy the whatpulse folder from your computer to the thumb drive
  2. Close WhatPulse
  3. Delete the .wpw files from the thumb drive (NOT the hard drive)
  4. Run the copy of whatpulse.exe on the thumb drive and treat it as if it’s a new computer, meaning it gets its own pulse profile.

The trick then is that if you’re pulsing the thumb drive from your home computer, you need to close the whatpulse on your hard drive and open the one on the thumb drive.

It’s actually a lot easier than I’m making it sound.[/quote]

Yeh I understand all that just fine. The problem is when I load the program from the thumb drive at college, I need to login to the software by allowing the program to connect to the internet and load my account. The college firewall blocks this from happening and therefore I can’t log in and use the software.

I do the logging in at home. Ideally (and I hope the developers are taking close note here), you shouldn’t need to log in anywhere else. Part of the benefit of having a thumb drive whatpulse is being able to collect stats on computers that don’t have internet access.

In regards to the firewall issue, it sounds like 1.6.2 will let you pick which port you use.

So now with 1.6.2, can i have it so the .wpw file is located on the pen drive rather than the the computer? If so how do i do this exactly, because i tried that on my brothers pc and the .wpw files saved to the standard location on the hard drive.

Also the use of whatpulse on a pc thats not got a internet connection(using the pen drive).

Places multiple installations of WhatPulse onto his USB Disk for his arrival back at college

Lol :stuck_out_tongue:

[quote=Beardie27]So now with 1.6.2, can i have it so the .wpw file is located on the pen drive rather than the the computer? If so how do i do this exactly, because i tried that on my brothers pc and the .wpw files saved to the standard location on the hard drive.

Also the use of whatpulse on a pc thats not got a internet connection(using the pen drive).[/quote]

If it’s not saving to the whatpulse directory, you’re not going to be able to create a pen drive version that works very well, unless you’re VERY diligent about copying and pasting files to the right place - and even then, this will interfere with your regular desktop pulses. I can’t see how I can make this work without some sort of logistical nightmare.

Well surely we could have an option for whatpulse to save the .wpw file where ever we want? ot just have it save in its own directory?

Yes there will be an option, I just have to add it.

Ok, thanks, just wondering, because i thought you said that you were doing it for 1.6.2. So i asked.