Using Whatpulse Anywhere

I’m having an issue with the pendrive version of running whatpulse. So I installed a version of whatpulse onto my pendrive. And ran it, logged in and set it up as one of my computer profiles. I then shut down whatpulse. Copied over the wpw files from the %app data%/whatpulse folder.

I then took the pendrive to another computer. copied the wpw files from the pendrive into the %app data%/whatpulse folder on that computer. and started up the whatpulse install from the pen drive. While the icon shows up in the task bar, and I see the 12 keys and 3 clicks I did on the machine I installed it onto before shutting down whatpulse. Everythign I type and click on the machine I moved the files onto, does not get added to the totals. Its almost like whatpulse sees that those files were created on another computer, and won’t allow it to add to the files.

Any thoughts?

When you paste the files, is WhatPulse closed? Can’t really think of anything other than that…

yes, whatpulse was closed. And whatpulse also was not installed on this computer. is that the problem?

I installed the whatpulse client on the pendrive on another computer. setup the profile. then copied the wpw files from that machine onto the one I want to run on. then started whatpulse up.

No errors on startup. it just doesn’t increase any of the counts.

Got bored so anyone who wants to do this but isn’t sure how can use the .bat file below:

phpbox.co.uk/apps/Whatpulse/USBWhatpulse.bat

• [b]If you don’t trust me, open it in notepad first to view :wink:

Also, Never done anything with .bat files so not sure if it will work as I don’t have 1.5 to test it :p[/b]

EDIT by Century0: Safe, should work. I’ve not got a copy of 1.5 around either to test however.

Why was the wpw file moved anyway? WhatPulse was one of the rare gems that were self-contained, or in other words didn’t pointlessly throw data all over the filesystem like 99.9% of programs and video games are doing.

If the point was to allow several WhatPulse profiles depending on what user is logged in that is fine and dandy, but at least give us who are the only users of a PC an option to store all data used by WP locally (locally meaning the main WhatPulse folder). Would be as easy as writing a command-line switch (like -local) that can be added to a shortcut. Making that switch available in the GUI would be a smart move for the less advanced users, too, of course.

No, it was moved because of the protection systems in Windows Vista and Windows 7 that ultimately made WhatPulse useless for a lot of people. It’s saving the data fine where it should be saved - In the application data folder.

The next version of WhatPulse will have an option to run off a portable device.

I can not wait :smiley:

[quote=bobL]No, it was moved because of the protection systems in Windows Vista and Windows 7 that ultimately made WhatPulse useless for a lot of people. It’s saving the data fine where it should be saved - In the application data folder.

The next version of WhatPulse will have an option to run off a portable device.[/quote]

I don’t use Vista so I was unaware of that problem, we learn something new every day I guess. :slight_smile:

I don’t think data “should” be dumped into appdata, it all boils down to personal preference and how one’s system is set up (hell, most games go into Program Files by default for some odd reason). In my case I want all software on my computer to be self-contained because I have went an extra mile to give Windows its own hard drive while keeping everything else on a secondary one, and the whole point of that is to minimize the damage in the case of a nasty crash that requires a reformat (I probably don’t have to tell you what folder goes to hell with Windows when that happens) as well as making maintenance less time consuming and tedious.

Anyway, I appreciate that this will be optional in a future version. It’ll bring me one step closer to my very ambitious goal. :slight_smile:

Im still using this for college and its going great. Gonna have a nice big pulse to make in the future from all my work at college. :slight_smile:

Would this not be a bit too open to cheating, if you had two pendrives on one computer then you could collect double the keys and clicks. It would need to record and check what time the keys were pressed at, something which would cause it to be a keylogger, and unsafe. :frowning:

No, because you cannot run WhatPulse twice on 1 system, whether they are on different USB drives or not.