Can't pulse in Whatpulse version 1.6 (XP-Home SP3)

We probably can’t figure out why this is occuring but I’m happy we can use te new version and pulse on every PC. :slight_smile: It does not matter if the used ports are different as long as this “choose port feature” still will be there in future versions.

Just for your information:

We only have firewall software in our router and not on the PC’s. Even with the firewall in the router off, the situation still is the same. All PC’s have NOD32 for virusscanner and Malwarebytes and MS Defender for malwareprotection. There is no further protection/security software installed. All PC’s are connected with an UTP cable to the router.
The only diffrence between them is that on each pc there is another operating system. WinXP Pro, WinXP-Home and Vista Buisiness. That has to make the diffrence.

Using Whatpulse version 1.6.2:

• Both WinXP Home and Vista Buisiness can only pulse using port 3490
  • WinXP Pro can pulse using default port 80 or port 3490

hi getting weirder and weirder over here…

yesterday i re-installed Whatpulse on my laptop, and not able to pulse at all…its the latest version…

on my PC i de-installed it…and re-installed it…and when i want to start it up after the install i get the .wpw error right away…

Not even able to start WhatPulse …

Starting to become clueless :roll:

anyone who has an idea…on my laptop the ports are at 80 and on my pc im not even able to change that because of the .wpw error…

Greetings, Maaike

//edit: ive deleted it from my PC and strangely i keep getting the .wpw error…i’ve used search to find if there was any trace of WhatPulse on my puter, but cant find it…who can think of any place where it could be hidden still…its in my believe not on my computer anymore…(also looked in hidden files etc)

[quote]Using Whatpulse version 1.6.2:

• Both WinXP Home and Vista Buisiness can only pulse using port 3490[/quote]

Ive been pulsing fine on Port 80 and Im using Win XP Home. It depends if the port is already in use or not.

It will definitely stay and will be much improved for version 2!

[quote=Maaikie]hi getting weirder and weirder over here…

yesterday i re-installed Whatpulse on my laptop, and not able to pulse at all…its the latest version…

on my PC i de-installed it…and re-installed it…and when i want to start it up after the install i get the .wpw error right away…

Not even able to start WhatPulse …

Starting to become clueless :roll:

anyone who has an idea…on my laptop the ports are at 80 and on my pc im not even able to change that because of the .wpw error…

Greetings, Maaike

//edit: ive deleted it from my PC and strangely i keep getting the .wpw error…i’ve used search to find if there was any trace of WhatPulse on my puter, but cant find it…who can think of any place where it could be hidden still…its in my believe not on my computer anymore…(also looked in hidden files etc)[/quote]

Why are you on port 80 if you can’t pulse? Change to port 3490 and you should be able to pulse.

The .wpw files are in %APPDATA%\WhatPulse. Are you sure you are deleting the files from there?

That’s a good point right there.

I’ve Changed my laptop to 3490 and im almost sure its not on my pc anymore…ive deïnstalled it and took the search engine to find any trace of whatpulse and cant find a thing…but when i start my pc its gives the error over and over again…

But i’ll try it again…i’ll search again and see what is going on here…

on my laptop im on 3490 now and still cant pulse…the pulses go up in count but not pulsing…

Thanks for thinking along (not sure about that spelling)

Greetz, Maaike

By this, do you mean that after you uninstalled it, WhatPulse still tries to open when you run your computer? IE: You uninstall, reboot your computer and WhatPulse comes up - You don’t re-install?

If port 80 AND port 3490 aren’t working on your laptop, it seems either a firewall is blocking the ports or another program is using them. I can’t help here much more than that.

Can you elaborate on that? It makes no sense. WhatPulse sends a command to the WhatPulse server on port 80. It should not matter if another program is sending commands to another server using the same port number. The WhatPulse application does not listen for incoming connections. It only makes an outgoing connection, so it should not conflict with any applications that are listening on port 80 either.

ok…ive done a totally different thing…i just de-installed the newest version and im back to the old version…with the little coloured W in the traybar…works fine again…not going to upgrade it until it works…i’ve lost over 800.000 pulses on my laptop by doing that…but…i just wasnt able to pulse them whatsoever…so this for me is the best solution…

I seems like its impossible to use the newest versions with Vista…dont know why…but the 1.5 works great again!

Well, 1.5 uses the same port as one of the two ports in 1.6.2. It has nothing to do with Vista and I can only assume it’s something with your computer or network and not WhatPulse (IE firewall blocking 1.6.2 as a program, not just ports). I don’t know, but you can’t stay on 1.5 forever :wink:

Unfortunatly for you, eventually you will need to upgrade again; However have you tried any of the following? (Havn’t read the entire thread so forgive me if I’ve repeated somthing):

1. Running the file as administrator (Right Click > Properties > Compatibility > Run as Admin)

2. Running program in compatibility mode (WinXP for example)? (Right Click > Properties > Compatiility > Run this program in Compatibility mode > Windows XP (SP2)

Hope that helps,

~ Chris