Can't pulse in Whatpulse version 1.6 (XP-Home SP3)

Don’t know if this is already covered but I also was having connectivity issues…Stuck on verifying account data…and then got stuck when i clicked the proxy button, and clicked no proxy…it continually tried to access a proxy regardless. Had to revert to 1.5

Yep. All those are known issues and have been fixed in 1.6.2 (not released yet, and I don’t know when it will be).

I removed 1.6 also from my XP-Pro_SP3 PC. Ik gave me an invalid token.
I never had invalid tokens in version 1.5.

Is whatpulse trying to make a https connection through a nonstandard port (diffrent than 443)? Some firewalls/gateways/ISPs block that. I also can’t get it working @ work. At home I have no problem (same OS - Vista sp1 & computer HW)

Port 80.

Port 80 and https connection? Hmh I guess that’s why I can’t get it working @ work. Because the the gateway @ work requires https connections to be made on 443 port. (and the admin won’t change that rule :-/ ).

Installed version 1.62. Still the same problem when using port 80 but I can pulse now on both Vista and XP Home when using port 3490 insteead of default port 80.
It’s a weird problem isn’t it. Al PC’s are on the same router. Two of them (Vista Premium ande XP Home) need port 3490 and one (XP-Pro) uses the default port 80.

hello all,

Im happy to have found this thread in this forum…
I seem to have all the problems above and some more sillyness…

I have Vista on my laptop and on my PC. Whatpulse 1.5 never was a problem on XP but since im working on vista its a constant problem
Started with the whatpulse.wpw that i had to remove constantly. And now im not able to re-install it.

Tonight i wanted to re-install it on my PC (im not able to pulse on my laptop and the green dot stays there) but everytime i start the program i get the ‘seem to use another version…whatpulse.wpw’ error.

I’ve de-installed the program like 20 times tonight and looked for the old version 5.1 because it looked like i didnt have that many problems with that on.

Can someone tell me (a bit simple for this dutchie) what i can do.

lemme sum it up:

• Vista Laptop 32.bits Whatpulse 1.6 cant pulse
  • Vista PC 32.bits Whatpulse 1.6.2 cant pulse and now cant even start the program because of the error wrong version and the wpw errror.

My firewall allowed Whatpulse, im on wireless and personally im clueless :slight_smile:

Hope to hear from you.

Regards,
Maaike

Right, there was a lot to take in there so bear with me :stuck_out_tongue:

Only thing I can sugest is to make sure that the .wpw file has been removed (it’s located here: %APPDATA%\WhatPulse). If there is a whatpulse.wpw file there then delete it, and if not then I’m not sure what the problem would be - although restarting your computer might help.

How do you mean it can’t pulse, is there a specific error message such as “Invalid Token”?

Hope that helps with your PC at least,

~ Chris

[quote=Mirre]Installed version 1.62. Still the same problem when using port 80 but I can pulse now on both Vista and XP Home when using port 3490 insteead of default port 80.
It’s a weird problem isn’t it. Al PC’s are on the same router. Two of them (Vista Premium ande XP Home) need port 3490 and one (XP-Pro) uses the default port 80.[/quote]

From what I’ve been told, it’s because ISPs block port 80 for progams other than web browsers. I don’t know how true this is, but it is definitely weird.

Hi Chris, Thanks for answering me…i remove the wpw constantly…there also is a wpw.bak file, which i never deleted, not sure if i need to delete it too?
I restarted my computer lots of times…this morning when i started it, i got the error instantly.

There isnt an error, just the green smiley ‘pulsed’ dot remains and goes on counting my keys etc…there isnt an invalid token error, it just keeps on counting and further its non responding to anything. If i want to see my programm settings or account settings im not able to get IN the program itself…

Thanks for helping me sofar, hope we manage to get it working again…im first in my team :slight_smile:

~*~Maaike

I don’t know what’s causing the .wpw errors, but I can tell you that if it’s getting stuck on the green icon, you are not using the latest version. You should upgrade, change ports and see if that helps anything.

Hi,

Im using the latest version, downloaded it last night and the wpw errors…i really dont understand any of it :slight_smile:

Definatly using the latest version? (1.6.2) :s If you are then you should get a timeout message instead of it hanging like it is…

Just to check you have the latest version, open the settings window and then press Save, it should display a message with some debug info - Don’t use the Check for updates window because I think it will tell you you have the latest version regardless.

If you are indeed using the latest version, have you tried changing ports from 80 to 3490 (option in the settings tab)? As bobL said; that should help.

Or you could just use the about window :wink:

You are simply not using the latest version if it’s indefinitely hanging on the green dot. It’s not possible. Latest version is 1.6.2, you’re using 1.6.

Okee, but why are two of the three computers in my home network then blocked on port 80 and number three the XP-pro machine has no problem at al using port 80. All three pc’s are connected to the same router and use the same internetconnection so it can not be ISP related.

Just a random thing I think lol :slight_smile:

Didn’t think of that :slight_smile: Good call.

Mirre: If that’s the case, it is probably your firewalls on those computers/in your router. I’m just stating the ISP thing as a general possible cause, there are several others.

I thought we’d already established that WhatPulse does not work on port 80 for anybody on Windows XP Home. Correct me if I’m wrong.

It makes me think that the WP application is relying on some component that XP Pro has but Home doesn’t.

I really don’t think that’s possible. It may well be down to the operating system blocking something, but it’s not just relative to XP Home - I had it on XP Pro, Windows 7, Vista and Home and then it just went away on all of them.