TrayIcon

Hi guys,

I’m wondering if it is possible to hide the WhatPulse TrayIcon without doing it via the Windows settings? The thing is, that I don’t have Windows admin rights on my machine from work and it would be very nice if not everyone could see it.

Any suggestions?

I use Windows 7 x64 SP1, WhatPulse 2.4

Thanks a lot for your help!

Semgo

There’s no way, unfortunately. If it were possible via the client itself, it would still need to request administrator access before it can change the tray setting.

In my experience you don’t need admin rights on Win7 to “Select which icons and notifications appear on the taskbar”, so you can at least hide it from people looking over your shoulder.

You can’t get rid of it from the hidden icons completely. Perhaps a solution would be an optional setting for WhatPulse to not add itself to the tray in the first place, which then forces you to choose a hotkey for bringing up the WP window instead.

I have the same issue at work. I simply dragged it into the hidden icons area, as shown in the attachment.

Hi guys,

thanks for helping!

@Bloopy
Yes I know, normally it is also possible without admin access but it is definitely restricted. I asked our service desk if I can hide some other icons because they need a lot of space and the answer was that it is restricted…

@smitmartijn
I can see parts of the registry but I couldn’t find any proper key. Maybe you could send me the name/location of the key? Then I could try to find and change it.

And yes maybe it would be helpful to have the possibility to run whatpulse as process in the background without trayicon. In case I like to see the stats I would run the whatpulse.exe file.

Thanks a lot!

Kind regards,
Semgo

[quote=“semgo, post:5, topic:13531”]
I can see parts of the registry but I couldn’t find any proper key. Maybe you could send me the name/location of the key? Then I could try to find and change it.[/quote]

Registry key, what registry key? You can’t modify the registry either without administrator access, right? (read, sure, but write?)

That would basically allow people to run it on computers in a sort of stealth mode. You could run it on someone elses computer without them knowing it. So that’s not going to happen.