Timeout when pulsing

2 days ago my WhatPulse started to timeout whenever it tried to pulse. The error message I get is

“Error: Could not connect to server.”

I have never experienced this before and now I get it every time. As far as I know, I have made no changes which should be able to affect this. I’m on Vista x64.

EDIT I just noticed there are other posts about this (for some reason I couldn’t see them when I looked before I posted…), my apologies.

Checking through the user stats I see that lots of pulses are being recorded but I’m getting the same error as you. I suspect that the interface between version 1.5 and the server is broken. I’m sure it’ll get fixed soon:)

Pete

Version 1.5 pulses the results to the server 83.96.159.250:3490 which is down for 2 days by now. But the server at 83.96.159.249:3490 which the client 1.6 is using is fully operational.

Use this trick to be able to pulse with 1.5:
Open [FONT=“Lucida Console”]%SystemRoot%\system32\drivers\etc\hosts[/FONT] with your editor and append the line

83.96.159.249 whatpulse.org. Afterwards flush your DNS cache by opening a terminal (start menu / run: [FONT=“Lucida Console”]cmd[/FONT]) and type the command

[FONT="Lucida Console"]ipconfig /flushdns[/FONT]

[color=Red]Be aware[/color]: This will redirect the host whatpulse.org, so you will not be able to open the WhatPulse website under http://www.whatpulse.org/ (forums should work - I think).
If you want to undo this, simple delete the inserted line in the hosts file and flush the DNS cache again.

[quote=theHacker]Version 1.5 pulses the results to the server 83.96.159.250:3490 which is down for 2 days by now. But the server at 83.96.159.249:3490 which the client 1.6 is using is fully operational.

Use this trick to be able to pulse with 1.5:
Open [FONT=“Lucida Console”]%SystemRoot%\system32\drivers\etc\hosts[/FONT] with your editor and append the line

83.96.159.249 whatpulse.org. Afterwards flush your DNS cache by opening a terminal (start menu / run: [FONT=“Lucida Console”]cmd[/FONT]) and type the command

[FONT="Lucida Console"]ipconfig /flushdns[/FONT]

[/quote]

They should put in both servers so it could work allways. Only a tip…

Tnx for the tip TheHacker. I was able to pulse now because of your tip!
You’ve made my day :slight_smile:

I have the same problem and I’m using version 1.5.1 (Cherry) too. I tried to pulse on an other computer so I tried to do it like it’s told in knowledge base “using whatpulse on an USB drive”. Then I noticed that this just works for versions 1.6 and higher.

Then I tried it the way it is mentioned here and now I keep getting the error: “Acitivity throttle breached, try again in an hours or so”. I googled this error but I didn’t find any helpful threads. Will it really work if I wait?

You get this “Acitivity throttle breached, try again in an hours or so” error when you tried to pulse to often. You should be able to pulse in a couple of hours.

[quote=Opt!k]I have the same problem and I’m using version 1.5.1 (Cherry) too. I tried to pulse on an other computer so I tried to do it like it’s told in knowledge base “using whatpulse on an USB drive”. Then I noticed that this just works for versions 1.6 and higher.

Then I tried it the way it is mentioned here and now I keep getting the error: “Acitivity throttle breached, try again in an hours or so”. I googled this error but I didn’t find any helpful threads. Will it really work if I wait?[/quote]

Im also using 1.5.1 Cherry and it works with that tip theHacker gave us

Hi,

Disregard that hosts file edit. It should work again.

Yep, pulsing again:)

Pete