Suggestion - Computer Hours

1. I think it has to be how long it is Actively used, due to the fact that if it was just when computers are on, people would leave their computers on to gather time.

Rather than people like me who turn it off and on often, so i will actually find out when i was using the computer.

1. Well i think we should consult Wasted before the poll. If he agrees then we can get a poll up.

Oh, feel free to poll up! It might influence his decision. It might not… but it’s worth a shot :wink:

I have added a poll in now, i think the question and answer are ok, if you can think of better ones, hence i can improve it, let me know.

Other than please vote.

I might rephrase that a little bit. “Computer usage uptime” implies that you’re actually using the computer - and that’s the one I’d vote for. “Whatpulse usage uptime” doesn’t make too much sense. I’m always running WhatPulse, so how would this be different from computer sage uptime?

I would put “Total computer uptime (including idle hours)” and “Active computer uptime (does not include idle hours)” as options - or perhaps you could rephrase that a little better.

Either way, my vote would go for a feature that indicates active computing time rather than how long you’ve managed to keep your computer running.

Sounds great, but how do i change the poll?

Maybe the “Edit Poll” link might work? :stuck_out_tongue:

It should be on the upper-right corner of the poll box.

nope not there.

I’m still against just computer uptime since people can leave their computer on 24/7, and I’m still against ‘active usage’ time since it’s hard to accurately find the time, and because according to X-Kal it would be more resource intensive to keep track of times.

So if it’s going to be just pure uptime it’s not really worth the addition.

I’ll have to agree with you there, Shawn.

Yeh I like to save on my electricity and do not keep my PC on all the time, but I know a whole load of friends who do… so that aspect would be unfair.

I already know how long Im running the WhatPulse tracker for, because Im on Wakoopa, which tracks hours of software used.

I think that this sounds like a good idea. Unless it ran as a System Service, it would be difficult to monitor System Uptime.

It would be interesting to keep records of the longest continuous uptimes. A timer would keep track of how long the system is either ON or in STANDBY mode, and it would be reset every time the system is shut down.

I like the idea of usage uptime, but up until last week when the power went out I had my computer on for almost a year, and I know that, so I don’t really care about that stat. But I am interested in knowing how many active hours I use my computer.
I also like the idea of idle time, but in a different stat so you could compare how many hours your computer is on versus how many hours you’re actively using it.

Well idle time might be a option really, because all it would have to measure is the time between you not pressing keys surely.

Maybe if you don’t type a key or touch the computer mouse etc for more than five seconds then the timer starts. and stops when you press a key.

The thing is about this idea its the opposite to what whatpulse does. Whatpulse recording how you use your computer in many ways and this being how long you don’t use your computer.

Also i am sorry but i can not find a Poll Edit button anywhere.

[quote=Beardie27]Well idle time might be a option really, because all it would have to measure is the time between you not pressing keys surely.

Maybe if you don’t type a key or touch the computer mouse etc for more than five seconds then the timer starts. and stops when you press a key.

The thing is about this idea its the opposite to what whatpulse does. Whatpulse recording how you use your computer in many ways and this being how long you don’t use your computer.

Also i am sorry but i can not find a Poll Edit button anywhere.[/quote]

Only admins can change polls, whats up?

~Century0

Uptime isn’t going to find its way into WhatPulse anytime soon…

Thats only because you’re lazy bobl :stuck_out_tongue:

I like the idea, right now I pulse every hour and use that as a tracking tool. It would be nice to have it as a stat we can look at but isn’t ranked, just something for us to see, if people want to cheat they gain nothing.

I really like idea of an uptime measuring tool, I don’t think it’s needed for a competitive measure just simply because it would be an interesting thing for Whatpulse to track.
I mean I use Whatpulse to track my own statistics so this in my head at least would be the next logical step for improvement.

The problem with “cheating” on WhatPulse could be solved very easy.

Just count the time when the mouse moves or keys are pressed plus or minus 2 minutes because a keystroke takes less than 0.1 secs.

So someone stops moving his mouse and 2 mins. later the counter stops.

Greetings

[quote=DarkMaster3960]The problem with “cheating” on WhatPulse could be solved very easy.

Just count the time when the mouse moves or keys are pressed plus or minus 2 minutes because a keystroke takes less than 0.1 secs.

So someone stops moving his mouse and 2 mins. later the counter stops.

Greetings[/quote]

What does that have to do with anything in this thread? Also, that’s a ridiculous idea - I can go for half an hour or more without using my mouse.