Suggestion - Computer Hours

Well i was thinking to myself about how long i spend on my computer, i download a simple program that tells me how long and when i have been on my computer. Well i was thinking about well could this feature be incorporated into Whatpulse.

In a way such that Whatpulse gathers time on how long since the computer has been turned on for (then pulsing it when you want), course a down side to this would be that you may get people leaving the computer on just so there hours can go up, abusing the system really.

Well a similar thing is what Xfire does by measuring the amount of hours you have been on games. So i was thinking maybe a way to expand this idea is to have it measure how many hours i am on my web browser, hence browsing the internet.

Also just wondering has this idea been suggested before?

I actually like this idea!

Would it be best just to have WhatPulse open time? Or just go for a whole system uptime stat?

Humm thats a good question really, well the thing is generally when people have the computer on they would have Whatpulse open a equal amount of time because they would want to get as my keystrokes… etc.

But i do know that windows (don’t know about Linux or mac) stores info about when the computer is on or not automatically. See the program i have on my PC tells my my PC usage data for the last 40 days, but when every day comes i loose a day on the graph (because it moves on) and really want to see when i have been on and stuff so i thought of this idea.

I really like this idea, but I have my computer on all the time. Like now I am at work, but my computer at home is still running like a beauty :slight_smile:

I don’t really like this idea since you don’t really have to do anything to get the count higher, just let your computer run. The other 3 counts you’ve got to physically type/click/or move the mouse. This one seems like it would be a waste of time to add.

This could be a great help the fight against cheaters since you’ll even get the time the whatpulse client have been on, thus if anyone pulse large key amounts with questionably high KPS, you can also look at the time whatpulse has been running on his/her computer.
If it’s on 24/7 the KPS will remain like it is on the site right now, but if the computer and user in question only have the computer running say 12 hours per day (with whatpulse), the KPS doubles.

If someone pulse one time and then pulse 86400 keys 24 hours later, the KPS will be precisly 1 (606024 = 86400). If the admin who checks suspicious cheaters then know for how long whatpulse have been on, lets say 12 hours just to keep the math simple, the KPS now lands on 2 “real” KPS for that particular person, or 4 KPS if whatpulse have been running 6 hours. (86400/12/60/60 = 2 or 86400/6/60/60 = 4)

This could help with cheaters as long as they don’t have their computers and whatpulse on 24/7, then it would be the same as it is now.

However… With this new client and that you soon can’t pulse with version 1.4.7, my personal guess is that cheating will be greatly reduced either way.

You shouldn’t have to “do anything” to get your keys and everything else counted either, you should just have the program running and tend to your normal usage of your keyboard and mouse.

Yes, many people leave their computers on over the night or when they go to work/school, but for those who don’t, I think it would be really fun to know just how long their computers have been on. =)

I think you have a great view on this Quarzi, about it helps to find cheaters, but it also helps to see if anyone has been on my computer when i am not there :D.

Maybe this can be incorporated into some kind of timeline on your web page, which also shows when you pulsed and what with (keys and clicks etc).

My computer is on constantly weather I’m here or not, and many other people leave theirs on 24/7 aswell, so counting the hours it has been on is not very practical and it would not be counting their hours of ‘useage’ like it does with the keyboard and mouse, but counting every hour their computer has been sitting doing nothing as well.

I personally don’t see the bad in that.

So what if you don’t have to work for your uptime, it’s still a fun thing to know.
If it’s not too much trouble (get everything working as it should in 1.6) it’s probably gonna be a fun thing for people to know/watch in like version 1.7. Whatpulse should all be for fun and in no way a competition IMO, I use it to know my own stats, keep count on how long my keyboards and mices hold up.
And one fun thing to know would be how long my computer have been on. :stuck_out_tongue:

If people don’t want it on, or if you want your uptime to be according to when you are at the computer, just turn the uptime counter off when you go AFK and turn it back on when you are there.

Thinking about it, I don’t think we’re going to see a lot of variation with this one. First, everyone who really wants to compete on this will keep their computers running 24/7, which means that the people in the lead will have the top score.

However, if the pulse profile stats are combined, then you start to get into real trouble. What will happen there is that someone will install whatpulse on ALL their computers and keep them ALL running. Then, the top score just goes to whoever has the most computers.

Perhaps this idea is something that can be worked into something more final - preferably something with more interaction and less predictability on the stats.

Well, yeah. Usually that’s what happens. What happens in Motavia when someone’s leading? :wink:

Last I checked, Mother Brain was leading in Motavia.

:lol:

Is there a way to make whatpulse know when you are not at the computer, like WLM have?

If you don’t move or click anything at all, the counter stops counting after 5 minutes, so if you move or click your mouse or click a key the counter starts again untill you stop, it then keeps going for 5 minutes again. If you know what I mean :stuck_out_tongue:

Is there a way to make whatpulse know when you are not at the computer, like WLM have?

If you don’t move or click anything at all, the counter stops counting after 5 minutes, so if you move or click your mouse or click a key the counter starts again untill you stop, it then keeps going for 5 minutes again. If you know what I mean :P[/quote]

I believe it’s possible to measure active vs idle time, although some of us really don’t want to know how much time we spend in front of our computer :stuck_out_tongue:

Hahaha, but you still have a option to turn it off :wink:

That sounds like a good idea Quarzi, maybe not five minutes, lets say 2-3 minutes maybe, well this number can be written into Whatpulse (so people can’t change it), just mesuring the amount of time people have been using the pc rather than it just being on.(no completely accurate but pretty good) .

That’s still going to be very inaccurate if people watch movies on their computer. Setup a movie & sit and watch without any keyboard/mouse interaction for a few hours, but technically you’re still there at the computer.

I don’t think it’s possible to count the number of hours you use your computer without it being really inaccurate and pointless.

Then we take an other example.
The windows screensaver, how does it know when I’m watching a movie either in fullscreen or a window and don’t turn my screensaver on?
If whatpulse made something like that, the problem would be solved?

I know it probably going according to if you have a fullscreen app running, but my screensaver never turns on even if I’m watching a movie in window mode.

But isn’t that a good thing, that it’s not counting when you are watching a movie or such? If I understand you right you want to “work” for your counting. (mileage, keys, clicks, and now also time if it gets implanted)

So lets call it “time spent on keyboard and mouse” instead of “uptime” then?

Well if this was going to measure how much time you spend using our mouse and keyboard, then why would we have to worry about it not recording whilst watching a movie?

So the idea, of “Time Spent on Keyboard and Mouse” would sound good.

[quote=Quarzi]If I understand you right you want to “work” for your counting. (mileage, keys, clicks, and now also time if it gets implanted)

So lets call it “time spent on keyboard and mouse” instead of “uptime” then?[/quote]
That’s just it, You can’t accurately count how long someone has been using their keyboard and mouse, the only thing you can accurately count is the computer’s uptime which is completely useless and hundreds of other programs can already do this.