Still having problems...

Web accelerator, huh? Yeah, that makes sense… I’ve heard of people that used to have problems playing this certain web browser game for that same reason… though the problems there were a little different.

Anyways, that’s good to know. If I ever get the chance, I should play around with one of those. Not that I need it while I’m on cable, but I want to see how they work :wink:

[quote=X-Kal]Web accelerator, huh? Yeah, that makes sense… I’ve heard of people that used to have problems playing this certain web browser game for that same reason… though the problems there were a little different.

Anyways, that’s good to know. If I ever get the chance, I should play around with one of those. Not that I need it while I’m on cable, but I want to see how they work ;)[/quote]

a little bit of a bump,

but they download asynchronous,
eg they open not one connection to download all files one after another,
but they open 2 or 3 or 8 connections to the host,
so all files are downloaded at the same time

[quote=TheGambler]a little bit of a bump,

but they download asynchronous,
eg they open not one connection to download all files one after another,
but they open 2 or 3 or 8 connections to the host,
so all files are downloaded at the same time[/quote]

I heard that alot of them will also pre-load content to your computer by following through on links that you’re likely to follow. It’s not good for gaming sites where clicking links will cause your army to attack an ally, for example.

then you could win without having to fight

:sunglasses:

Hm, this seems to be happening again… but on the library computer. There is no accelerator on these though.

:confused:

Hi there, sorry to bump the thread up but i’ve got the problem described by threadstarter.
But my scenario is slightly off, i’ve got a different set of IP address as i’ve changed internet service providers in between.

I can’t seem to log in on the site.

[quote=smellybeans]Hi there, sorry to bump the thread up but i’ve got the problem described by threadstarter.
But my scenario is slightly off, i’ve got a different set of IP address as i’ve changed internet service providers in between.

I can’t seem to log in on the site.[/quote]

Should work after 24 hrs is my best guess.

~Century0

[quote=Century0]Should work after 24 hrs is my best guess.

~Century0[/quote]

Hello century, thanks for the prompt reply, but i’ve actually been facing the mentioned problem for quite some time now.

Its been months since i could actually gain access to the WP site, while the pulsing & the what-nots work just fine.

Any ideas on what i should do as a next step? :confused:

Thanks!

Try deleting cookies for whatpulse.org or try another Browser.

The Problem is propably related to Sessions.

If that won’t work, I would by seriously confused!

[quote=smellybeans]Hello century, thanks for the prompt reply, but i’ve actually been facing the mentioned problem for quite some time now.

Its been months since i could actually gain access to the WP site, while the pulsing & the what-nots work just fine.

Any ideas on what i should do as a next step? :confused:

Thanks![/quote]

I would do as was suggested and clear your temporary files, cookies, and whathaveyou for WhatPulse. Following this, other things may be attempted if you are still unable to log in.

~Century0

Thanks guys, i’ve tried clearing cookies but still to no avail though. :sad:
It works the first time i enter the site, subsequent clicks on other links just show my ip being logged.

I often get this; my internet connection is horrible and constantly disconnects which reassigns me a new IP address, I’ve found waiting a few hours sorts it out again. The client still works fine, just browsing the site isn’t allowed. You should definitely have a button to clear the session w/ the error message.

[quote=smellybeans]Thanks guys, i’ve tried clearing cookies but still to no avail though. :sad:
It works the first time i enter the site, subsequent clicks on other links just show my ip being logged.[/quote]

okay, that narrows the problem to your ISP.
You might use AOL or something like SkyDSL.
Those providers have proxy arrays and route their customer’s requests over those servers. So every click comes from a different IP address (regarded from the server side).
This website uses Session Cookies even for users that are not logged in - and those sessions are fixed to an IP address… so there is hardly anything you can do - change your provider or use a fixed proxy for whatpulse.org

@whatpulse-team: you should change that behaviour a bit: Don’t limit sessions to IP adresses and renew the session identifier during login and logout. That would also eliminate the risk of attacks using session fixation / session hijacking - and would be more user friendly.
An IP limit per session helps in most cases against session hijackers but not if attacker and victim are in the same company network / school / university …
Ask me if you need more Details / Examples.

@FamilienVater, thanks for the heads up.

Any help people? :o