Ports

While sitting at work, i cannot use WP as my company blocks a lot of ports. It’s mostly to block things like MSN etc. So we get on with our work :smiley:

However, it means i cannot use WP EITHER! Now, i have no problem with using it on a usb key and taking it home to pulse, but cannot set it up as it asks to connect to the server first on the pc at work.

Any ideas, tips hints etc? Or any recommended way to get to use port 80?

Thanks v much :stuck_out_tongue:

Solved it myself.

Thanks anyway! :stuck_out_tongue:

How? :slight_smile:

I would like to know aswell.
I haven’t upgraded my client, because at work, only port 80 is allowed.
The previous version of whatpulse, allows connections over that port, whilst the new one doesn’t. ;’(.

Any way to solve this, asking my network administrator won’t work, because he won’t open up ports, for something like whatpulse.

If it means I can’t pulse, then so be it, then I will drop the project.
Just want to make sure I’ve tried everything…

Quoting your posts from the other thread here, since they’re still relevant here…

[quote=Jo0Lz]I think, changing the ports, was the worst thing, this project could ever do.
I for one, can’t connect at work. Not through the proxy, not through the http tunnel…

I’ve been running wp a long time at work now, but the new version just doens’t work.

Some ppl suggested that I just install the wp client at home, and drop the work client, but then I would only be able to track 1/8’th of my keys…

Why not build an option to pulse over different ports, like 8080, or something…

I’ve been searching for an awnser ever since the new version, but it just doesn’t work… :(.[/quote]

[quote=Jo0Lz]Ok. I just installed and configured the HTTP-tunnel client.
(Even took an 1 month subscription, just to be on the safe side!!)

I get response from the servers, but it says this:

then it stops, http-tunnel shows the connection as “closed”.

I tried a few times, it takes a long time to get response, but it just gives the same result.
(Have had the last line repeat itself, but never got the OK button, ungrayed.)

Can anyone confirm, that this is the only way? Port 80 or 8080, isn’t an option anymore? Not even in future versions?

Because, if this is the case, I can’t use WP on my work machines anymore… :’(.[/quote]

Can you tell me if there’s specific ports that you’d prefer to see included in the options? (Being that I don’t know much about which are standard ports, etc.)

And the response I get from wasted is:

80 is pretty impossible because it’s not a script on the webserver anymore

[quote=X-Kal]Quoting your posts from the other thread here, since they’re still relevant here…

Can you tell me if there’s specific ports that you’d prefer to see included in the options? (Being that I don’t know much about which are standard ports, etc.)

And the response I get from wasted is:

80 is pretty impossible because it’s not a script on the webserver anymore[/quote]

Hmm, there are only a few ports, that I can use @ work.
These are: 80, 8080, 21, 23.
All other ports, are blocked by default, because of an external firewall. (Wich is not managed by out network administrators…)

Even if I wanted to put in a request to open up a specific port, like 3490 on whatpulse, I would have to specify the port number, ip address and dns name.
Because whatpulse isn’t really a needed application, I wouldn’t get the change through the advisory board, even if I wanted to ^^.

I guess, I’m sh*t outta luck here.

There’s something I keep thinking of, and I’ve got no idea if it’ll work. What if you go to the proxy settings and set it to go through localhost as a proxy, port 8080?

I’ve entirely given up proxies, so I can’t remember how they work anymore…

[quote=X-Kal]There’s something I keep thinking of, and I’ve got no idea if it’ll work. What if you go to the proxy settings and set it to go through localhost as a proxy, port 8080?

I’ve entirely given up proxies, so I can’t remember how they work anymore…[/quote]

Nope, that doesn’t work.
From what I understand, it’s an ISA server, to wich I connect, and that ISA server, reroutes the traffic through an externally managed firewall.

When I use localhost as connection, without http-tunnel, it doesn’t find the host. (because I 'm not connected to the internet, when I don’t use our ISA/proxy server.)

HTTP tunnel, just doens’t get a reply. I have a subscription for a month, and the test is fine. I am even able to surf the web through it.

But, whatpulse doens’t get through. I’ve tried changing the application port, of http-tunnel to 8080, instead of the standard 1080, but no go.

It say’s it’s connected, but then it says verifiying, and nothing happens. HTTP-tunnel marks the connection as “dead” (closed).

I’ve followed the steps in the HTTP-tunnel forums, that someone posted when they had difficulties connecting to msn, but that was a completely different problem.

I’m at a loss here… ;(.

Hmmm.

Not gotten any further with this?
I still can’t connect at work, there has to be a way. :{.

Can’t imagen that I 'm the only one with problems, after the old version dissappeared from the download section. :{.

No, I doubt you’re the only one. It’s just that… I’m not sure how to solve this, aside from a new release (though I have VERY little proxy experience, too)…

I wonder if anyone at the IRC channel knows… I’ll give that a try, too.

irc.whatnet.org @ #pulse

[quote=X-Kal]No, I doubt you’re the only one. It’s just that… I’m not sure how to solve this, aside from a new release (though I have VERY little proxy experience, too)…

I wonder if anyone at the IRC channel knows… I’ll give that a try, too.

irc.whatnet.org @ #pulse[/quote]

Let’s see, If I CAN connect to IRC, using my tunnel.

Ok… :smiley: I will have to ask questions on IRC @ home.
I can’t even download mirc, because the firewall defines Mirc.exe as unsafe software/trojan. :{.

Here you can chat:

http://whatpulse.org/chat/

I think you need java or something, I hope you have :stuck_out_tongue:

[quote=Pimorez]Here you can chat:

url

I think you need java or something, I hope you have :P[/quote]

It still requires communication over a different port. (6667 if I remember correctly).

:frown:

Jeez… I still haven’t encountered this kind of strict security anywhere yet.

There are a LOT of companies, who use security like this. That’s because it’s the best. You block EVERYTHING and then set up rules for things you like to allow.

They allow any traffic on the 80 port here, but as soon as it gets port specific, a rule has to be made. In this rule, the exception port and destination IP address are set up, to go through security.

I allready asked my network admnistrator, he didn’t see any educational reasons, as to allow whatpulse, and therefore, I’m screwed.