Per-Application Pulsing Issue.

Per-Application Pulsing Issue

I’ll use League of Legends as an example:

Let’s say, within a pulse, I first play version 4.1, accumulate 5000 keystrokes and 5000 clicks and then the application is updated to version 4.2 (I have not yet pulsed). The keystrokes in version 4.2 are recorded as per the overall stats but when I pulse and look at the application data (on the website), only 5000 clicks and 5000 keys will be seen - the totals accumulated in the first version of any given pulse.

This occurs if the .exe’s , when updated, are located in different folders*, because Whatpulse seems to have difficulty in recognising them as the same applications.

b:/lol/league of legends/rads/solutions/lol_game_client_sln/releases/0.0.1.47/deploy/league of legends.exe
b:/lol/league of legends/rads/solutions/lol_game_client_sln/releases/0.0.1.48/deploy/league of legends.exe
b:/lol/league of legends/rads/solutions/lol_game_client_sln/releases/0.0.1.49/deploy/league of legends.exe
b:/lol/league of legends/rads/solutions/lol_game_client_sln/releases/0.0.1.50/deploy/league of legends.exe
b:/lol/league of legends/rads/solutions/lol_game_client_sln/releases/0.0.1.52/deploy/league of legends.exe
b:/lol/league of legends/rads/solutions/lol_game_client_sln/releases/0.0.1.53/deploy/league of legends.exe
b:/lol/league of legends/rads/solutions/lol_game_client_sln/releases/0.0.1.54/deploy/league of legends.exe
b:/lol/league of legends/rads/solutions/lol_game_client_sln/releases/0.0.1.55/deploy/league of legends.exe
b:/lol/league of legends/rads/solutions/lol_game_client_sln/releases/0.0.1.56/deploy/league of legends.exe
b:/lol/league of legends/rads/solutions/lol_game_client_sln/releases/0.0.1.58/deploy/league of legends.exe
b:/lol/league of legends/rads/solutions/lol_game_client_sln/releases/0.0.1.59/deploy/league of legends.exe

This happened when I pulsed today. Just today, I accumulated within League of Legends 5’119 keystrokes and 10’459 clicks, whereas the pulse lists 4’128 keystrokes and 5,577 clicks (probably from yesterday, when the game version was different). These totals should be added, and Whatpulse is failing to do this.

V. 2.5-1157: Client is still behaving like this.

Technically a different version is a different application, so it is working as expected. On the website, it is consolidated onto the ‘League of Legends’ application registration, so I don’t really see a problem.

Well, if the different versions are consolidated into one on the website, shouldn’t the keystrokes from each version be consolidated as well? That sounds logical to me

Yes, this doesn’t seem to happen, and that’s the issue.

It doesn’t? You only have one league of legends application in your list: https://www.evernote.com/shard/s258/sh/6179d306-896a-4b58-a58b-4f0f06f215b5/dbd58605f0187b849381237bbc7f79ed/deep/0/micycle---WhatPulse.png

He says that the different versions ARE consolidated on the website, but that their stats AREN’T consolidated, only one of the versions’ stats are picked. At least that’s what I understood.

I have this similar problem, however with separate applications (pythonw.exe and Tibia Player)

There are multiple pythonw.exe and Tibia Player applications on my computer with the same name, but once an application is recognized as the “main” one, counts from the other app is not uploaded onto the site anymore, although both are counted under the same application on the desktop app.

I’m not quite getting it still, but will do some testing with same applications in different folders, see what happens.

[quote=“mewturn, post:8, topic:13950”]
I have this similar problem, however with separate applications (pythonw.exe and Tibia Player)[/quote]

That’s not the same thing, as wrappers like python or java are the actual process and do not really disclose any information about the actual application running inside python or java, which makes it impossible for the client to detect it properly.

So if I run applications that are not similar in nature to these files (python / java), but located in different folders, would WhatPulse recognize them as the same application?

On a side note, shouldn’t WhatPulse also count the stats for the application under the main application name such as pythonw.exe or Java Runtime Library or something?

They should be counted, but I don’t think they are. My Java Platform SE Binary (Minecraft) is sitting at 6k keys, even though it should have over 200-300k or so. I guess that’s a progress since 1 year ago or so when it had 2k keys.

EDIT: But if you look in the Java Platform SE Binary application list, you can see people with millions of keys in it (clearly originating from Minecraft), and it’s working properly. That’s pretty weird.

He’s saying that the name should be different, not that it doesn’t count. It uses the first name java/python gives the OS, which can be confusing, but I’m trying to find a way around that - but it’s not easy as python/java don’t disclose any app info.

Apart from the name, it counts fine. The only exceptions are applications that demand an exclusive lock on the keyboard/mouse, which is something the client can’t do anything about.

But Minecraft doesn’t demand an exclusive lock on the keyboard or mouse. As I said in the previous post there are people with millions of keys in it. Also my keys are registered just fine in the Whatpulse client application list (http://puu.sh/haSom/407c5c9815.png - there are less keys than I said because I reset the database fairly recently). But if you look in that screenshot, with the application highlighted it says that All time it has had only 4,510 keys as opposed to 83,539, and I think only those keys were pulsed under the application. So there’s some kind of discrepancy.

As mentioned, it takes the initial app title it launches, so in your case it’s probably not the exact name “Java SE Platform binary” and the stats are gathered on another name. Let’s not hijack the initial thread, shall we? :slight_smile:

Yes.

“I’m not quite getting it stil”;

For example run notepad, type a bit, look in the applications list and record the keys. Make a new folder, paste the notepad application in there and again type a bit. You’ll see that keys for the Notepad application in the list are overwritten, because the app’s directory has changed.