Network Interface Undetected?

A few days ago I noticed that whatpulse was not monitoring my network activity - a network interface was not even visible in the list box where it usually would be (unless I unchecked “Show only active interfaces”, in which case it would show my usual network hardware code, but still no activity).

I restarted whatpulse and lo-and-behold, working perfectly. I thought that would be the end of it; alas, upon my next bootup, the same thing occurred.

It’s obviously not a huge issue, and quite easily repaired in the short term, but it is a tad annoying, so if anyone has any ideas that would be swell :slight_smile:


What version of WhatPulse? What OS/version? There are some network monitoring shenanigans on the Mac client, but you might be having a different issue.

Version 2.2.1

Windows 7 Pro 64 bit

I-i-interesting. I’ll keep an eye out for this next time I reboot my Windows (7 Ultimate x64) system. Haven’t rebooted since upgrading from 2.1.1, so the 2.2 series is untested on reboots in my case.

I’m also having a problem with Whatpulse refusing to detect the network interface, which to be honest, only adds to my disappointment with 2.x. It stopped counting network traffic between 2 and 6 days ago, and my unpulsed data has froze on the same numbers ever since. I am running Mac OS X 10.8.3 on an x64 Macbook Pro, so there has plenty of sleeping and waking the laptop. Not sure if that is what’s causing it though. A few hours ago, the settings window showed the network interface, but showed there to be no data going through it, which I knew not to be true (see first screenshot). Now though, it shows no network interface (see second screenshot).

The Mac client seems to have a lot of trouble with network tracking. It’s probably due to the permissions script that runs on start needing to run at other times or something like that. Windows just has a driver for it, so the Mac client is doing something a lot more hack-y.

Update: restating the Whatpulse client fixed the problem… for now. I’ll let you know if it happens again.

Yes, restarting the client seems to reliably fix it. But it’s happening pretty much every time I close and reopen my MBP, which means I’ve gotten into the habit of quitting WP every time I unlock the machine after sleep and restarting it as soon as the Wi-Fi reconnects.