Mouse mileage is weird.

After the update to 1.6 my mouse mileage is skyrocketing, since my last pulse around 24 hours ago I’ve gone over 5 miles now (~8km) which is way higher than in 1.5.

If it is version 1.5 or 1.6 that’s wrong I don’t know…
My mouse have a DPI from 1-3200 and I run it on 3200.

Errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr… It’s fine my end…

What are your system specs? DirectX version too, if you please.

Microsoft Windows XP Professional Service Pack 3
DirectX (DirectX 9.0c)

CPU: Intel Pentium E2160, 2880 MHz (Overclocked from 1800 MHz)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-P31-DS3L
RAM: 2x Corsair XMS2 CM2X1024-6400 1 GB DDR2-800 DDR2 SDRAM

GPU: ATI Radeon HD 3850 (RV670)

HDD1: SAMSUNG HD103UJ (1000 GB, 7200 RPM, SATA-II)
HDD2: ST3500630A (500 GB, 7200 RPM, Ultra-ATA/100)
Internal DVD-ROM: GDR8161B (16x/48x DVD-ROM)
External CD-RW: ASUS CRW-5232AS USB Device (52x/32x/52x CD-RW)

Want any more?

Heh, no that’s fine. :slight_smile:

Not really sure what’s wrong with it. I’ll have a look into it and see if I can chuck out a fix before the next release.

I was just about to post this too. My current unpulsed mileage on one particular machine has suddenly jumped to 5.52 miles with 15k keystrokes. I barely make 5 miles per 100,000 keys on that machine usually.

Something is definitely strange here.

32-bit XP SP3
Intel Core 2 Duo E6600
DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)

edit: added specs

Did it suddenly just multiply itself or was it just not recording it properly?

If I have geek window open the mileage seems to just count like 10x faster than in 1.5 :stuck_out_tongue: (for me at least)

Edit, quick cap from a camera on the geek window.
I move my mouse (not the cursor) like 1cm up, down, left and right.

Edit: Nevermind this entire post was a lie!

You saw nothing!


Screen res?


I’m running 1680x1050.

With the geek window open I can also see the mouse mileage increasing way too fast as I move the mouse around.

Some more info: the mouse mileage was increasing too fast when observed over a Remote Desktop Connection to the machine in question (at 1024x768 ). I just logged on to the machine locally (so, back to 1680x1050) and it is now increasing much slower (maybe even too slow). I’ve been moving the mouse like hell, watching the geek window and it’s only gone up by a hundredth of a mile.

Interesting. What effect does changing that setting actually have?

I wonder if it’s something to do with that setting, because by comparison, display is normally set to 96 DPI.

If I’m not wrong the regular mouse DPI is 400 to 800.

DPI is dots per inch (just for thos who moght not know), it also relates directly to the mouse reading, along with the movement on screen. So that said, if you use a 1024x786 screen rez, and you having a 1000DPI mouse, it would ‘technically’ take 1 inch to move from one side to the other.

But it also relates to how many ‘screen shots’ the mouse takes per second. So higher dpi = more screen shots per ‘movement cycle’ which translates into a smoother movement of your mouse, and yields a higher speed.
For me who works a lot in photoshop editing pictures and what not, a higher DPI lets me edit them with much more precision than with a 400 DPI mouse. (although I use my wacom tablet more now)

You can also reduce your movement speed (most commonly done in the game you are playing) to adjust the higher speed.

So if you go from a 400 dpi mouse with 4 sensitivity, a 1600 DPI mouse and a 1 sensitivity would give you the same speed, but higher precision.