I made a guide for installing WP on Ubuntu

Linux is currently a learning experience for me and while I used it a bit, one of the hardest things I’ve done on it recently was installing WhatPulse. That’s why I decided to try to install it again in Virtual Machine and see how that goes. I’m kinda bad with the terminal as you will be able to see but I think this will still help anyone who knows nothing about the OS and just wants to get WP working.
In total it took me about 35 minutes to get it installed and a few hours to create and render the video.

I know it’s not the best, but I actually had live commentary over it but accidentally didn’t turn the mic on :stuck_out_tongue: so I did a quick voice-over and cut off the parts that didn’t show any useful information.

Well… if anyone cares about the video it’s here

I’m hoping for some constructive criticism.

Nice!

Yeah, sure, but there are issues with it:

[list]
[]It’s 9:51 long, for no reason! :wink: :slight_smile:
[
]Even though 14.04.2 is LTS, exactly one month before that video was published, on April 23, 2015, Ubuntu 15.04 was released - which is the current version; & therefore, shouldn’t the instructions be current as well.
[/list]

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Releases

[quote]sudo apt-get update

^^ “So, this will take a while”.[/quote]

Um, maybe on your b0x. On mine, it just whizzes by & my connection isn’t that good, either: 25 Mb/s (25.600/2.048)

IMO, there’s (a lot!) room for improvement; maybe a re-make, or a different video - moar precise and to the point?! ;D

Edit: Oh, and, hell-to-the-no, I’m not making one (hihi). :slight_smile:

P.S. Btw., also, the CMD is usually shortened:sudo apt-get update ; sudo apt-get upgrade

Constructive criticism is usually okay, but you’re coming over as a not very nice person when you post like this. 4x3r0 put a lot of effort into this and all you do is bitch about the result and not offer any improvement yourself.

I’d appreciate it if you did not make any more of these types of posts, thanks!

Well done on doing this. When I was using Linux I had some issues getting WhatPulse set up correctly so this will help a lot should I give the new versions of Ubuntu out any time soon. I’m always experimenting with new gear and OS’s.

I did put a lot of effort into this, but sure the video could have been better plus I could explain stuff slightly differently making it easier to understand. If I did install this once again just after, the video would be shorter and probably better, but I wanted to keep it kinda ‘trying to do it for the first time’ kind of style. If I find the time I will redo the video for 15.04, since I’m planing to possibly switch to linux instead of Windows 10. My terminal skill is also slightly better now, than it was in the video :stuck_out_tongue:

Schweet!..:slight_smile: && apologies - if I had been too critical, or something, as smitmartijn had (so eloquently :)) pointed out! xD

Btw., 15.10, Wily Werewolf, will be coming up October 22, 2015 according to teh schedule @https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Releases

P.S.
Just gave the video a thumbs-up! =)