Deletion of Inactive members

I’ve seen some members getting deleted for inactivity. Now I’ve got two questions, what is the limit? (18 months? 24 months?)

And is this done by hand, or automated?

Because we (the DPC team) have some members in our team with a longer inactivity break then Bobje has (less then 2 years) some members didn’t pulse since 2004 and are still not deleted…

I really have no idea what the limit is - I’ve seen some ancient accounts that haven’t pulsed since I first joined, but others that have pulsed more recently and still got deleted.

It is automated, and the time limit is 24 months (the beginning of the 24th), 4 weeks before the user gets an automated warning email, and 2 weeks before another.

The ‘trick’ here is that this runs one time a day (18:00 CET) and only processes 50 users (used to be 20) at one time.

The weird results you’ve seen by having users way older than the 24 months is because of a small bug in this script. It kept processing the newer members, usually leaving the older ones alone because of the 20 user limit. I just adjusted this to start with the users that are registered the longest and will see the results tonight.

I’ll poke BobL to add this to the knowledge base…thought it was in there.

I thought it was there too for some reason. Oh well, it is now! http://whatpulse.org/kb/idx.php/0/051/article/Automated-Account-Deletion.html

I also added in the note about why it wasn’t working in the past, just as an FYI. I’ll remove that in due time.

[quote=wasted]It is automated, and the time limit is 24 months (the beginning of the 24th), 4 weeks before the user gets an automated warning email, and 2 weeks before another.

The ‘trick’ here is that this runs one time a day (18:00 CET) and only processes 50 users (used to be 20) at one time.

The weird results you’ve seen by having users way older than the 24 months is because of a small bug in this script. It kept processing the newer members, usually leaving the older ones alone because of the 20 user limit. I just adjusted this to start with the users that are registered the longest and will see the results tonight.[/quote]

I have a small question. I was using WhatPulse until 8 months ago. I’d pulse once every couple of months from one of the machines I use.
Then one fine day, I check online and it says I have about 50,000 odd key strokes instead of the few million I am supposed to. I tried looking on the forum but didn’t find anything and I was too busy back then do say anything here. I just stopped using Whatpulse.
Just thought I should mention that again now and try to find out what exactly happened. My account wasn’t deleted but my pulses kinda were. The pulse count remains (my average keys per pulse seems too low :P).

Could anyone let me know what’s going on? Some of my machines back then had the old client while some had the new one. I thought that you guys removed all pulses from the old client but there seem to be a lot of old users I know who still have their pulses.

I am starting over now with the new clients on all my machines but a clarification would be great. Thanks.

(Note: By new client, I mean v1.5b and by the old client I mean v1.4 or what ever it was :slight_smile: I was reluctant to move since 1.5 was tagged as a beta, well I believe it still is :P)

Hey John,

Your stats may have been deleted because they were considered cheat stats. Can you supply us with your WhatPulse account name so we can look into it?

My user name is John Anderton.

I was using 1.4 (or what ever the old classic version was) on most of my machines but some had 1.5.
This time around, I’ve started using 1.5 everywhere and since I got a mail about a new version today, I’m upgrading to that instantly.

And if someone thought I was cheating, hope they take into consideration multiple computers/OS’ and quite a bit of gaming and coding :slight_smile:
Oh well, I guess I’ll start afresh and try to make it to the top again. If I did it once, I can do it again :wink:
Thanks for your help bobL :slight_smile:

Edit: Also, I just noticed that one of my Pulse Profiles (now renamed to “Computers”) has 3 million keys. If you guys cleared the keys, shouldn’t the pulse profile data be taken from the same database (so that clearing one clears the other)?
This seems like a classic case of data redundancy. Database normalization required :wink:

[quote=John Anderton]
Edit: Also, I just noticed that one of my Pulse Profiles (now renamed to “Computers”) has 3 million keys. If you guys cleared the keys, shouldn’t the pulse profile data be taken from the same database (so that clearing one clears the other)?
This seems like a classic case of data redundancy. Database normalization required ;)[/quote]

The database structure with the renaming of pulse-profiles has not changed. They are still named profiles inside the database, so it’s not like there are two tables for the old pulse-profiles and the new name computers.

I think you misunderstood me. Have a look at my profile (User Name: John Anderton; URL: http://whatpulse.org/stats/users/127187/) [I can’t url link yet ¬¬ :P]

My keys seem to have been deleted (for whatever reason, still waiting for confirmation :)) but look at the Pulse profile scores. “Desktop” has 3.5 million keys while my total key count is 194 thousand. Don’t you think that the “Desktop” key count should have dropped too?

Also, if you guys don’t mind, I’d like a confirmation about where my keys went. As I said, if you guys think I was cheating, I hope you considered the use of multiple machines and operating systems with old clients on some of them. :slight_smile:

That’s really interesting. If your keys were removed due to cheating, it should remove the stats from the individual pulse profiles. What I’m seeing here is that you’ve pulsed about 3 million keys on “Desktop” but less than 200,000 keys overall? That doesn’t make sense. Whether or not you were identified as a cheater (I don’t know this answer, unfortunately), this shouldn’t be happening.

Thanks for having a look X-Kal. I was confused just as you are. If you could look into it, that would be great.
As for the suspected cheating thing, I don’t know if I’ve said this earlier or not but I’ll make my stance clear. I didn’t do anything. But if you guys do think I did, I’m fine with whatever your decision is. I did lose about a couple of years worth of keys (which is a lot for a programmer+gamer like me) but that’s ok. My main concern right now is the accuracy of the stats. If I could get my stats back, of course, that would be great. If not, I’d like my profile to not be inconsistent :slight_smile:

How many keys did I lose you ask? About 100-110million I think.
Anyway, if you can get any of those back, great. If you can’t, could you make my profile consistent? :slight_smile:

Note: Request to administrator to have a table in the dB which has the moderator’s note who clears suspected cheaters (or whatever other reason he might have) of their stats. Also, let a script do it instead of letting someone do it manually. Better that way and easier logs. :slight_smile: You have records for later use and such a situation wouldn’t occur again. You guys could give reasons to people when needed and also, assuming the script works fine, the dB will be consistent :slight_smile:
Of course, it does mean an hour or two’s worth of work initially :stuck_out_tongue: