[CLOSED] Portable Mode

Hello,

I recently installed WhatPulse to my USB drive, and enabled “portable mode”, but after a few days of usage between two computers, it stopped working. It gave me a strange runtime error. I ended up installing it locally on my home computer instead of the USB drive to get it working again. However, I would still like to somehow be able to run it from my USB drive at work so I can record my keystrokes and clicks from the work computer. Could anyone give me a rundown on portable mode, and how I could use it in portable mode when I already have it installed locally on my computer? I haven’t been able to find much information for portable mode anywhere and how it works. Clicking “portable mode” on my local home computer installation doesn’t seem to do anything, since it’s installed on the hard drive.

Thanks!

Hi,

When you enable portable mode, basically all that it does is copy your local stats and account data to the same directory as where the whatpulse.exe (the client) is located. So if you have the client on an USB drive, you can take your stats with you.

Most of the reasons why the client would give a strange error when on an USB drive, is usually either a bad USB drive or a bad connection. The WhatPulse client doesn’t like it when the drive it’s on, disconnects. :wink:

So if you’ve got the client installed on your local hard drive and enable portable mode, you’ll see two files popup in the client directory (whatpulse.db & whatpulse.wpw), which you can basically pick up and copy to a USB drive and it’ll work portable.

First question you need to ask yourself though, is “why portable mode” - which only has 2 valid answers:

• I can’t (or not allowed to) install anything on my work computer
  • My work computer doesn’t have internet (to pulse)

Only if any of those two questions are a ‘yes’ - use portable mode, otherwise just install it.