Banning Cheaters

Are you guys still taking cheating seriously? I mean I checked the leader board and some of the top guys MUST be violating the rules in some way or another.

I am a programmer and type all day every day at work (7-10 hours/day), here are my stats:

jcrawford has been a participant since 2005-04-04 (90 months ago), and in that time has typed 32,108,646 keys, clicked 6,146,492 times and moved his or her mouse for 408.68 miles. Averaging 0.15 keys and 0.03 clicks per second. This user last sent a pulse to this server on 2012-03-01 23:33:59 and has sent a total of 926 pulses overall. jcrawford lives in United States. jcrawford also referred 0 users to WhatPulse.

Now I am not saying that getting higher stats than me is not possible but breaking the barrier with the following…

kwmaniak2 has been a participant since 2005-10-29 (82 months ago), and in that time has typed 288,080,101 keys, clicked 22,573,994

WHO REALLY types 1.44 KPS over that time period? Does the guy not sleep? Does he have WP installed on computers that many different users use 24/7…

Just curious really because I believe getting stats like that is IMPOSSIBLE for any single person. I mean they would have to have NEVER slept in the past 82 months to get 1.44 KPS over that time range right. Not sleeping for that long would lead to death…

oh and he has 922 pulses and has not pulsed in over 2 years…

[quote=idle0ne]kwmaniak2 has been a participant since 2005-10-29 (82 months ago), and in that time has typed 288,080,101 keys, clicked 22,573,994

WHO REALLY types 1.44 KPS over that time period? Does the guy not sleep? Does he have WP installed on computers that many different users use 24/7…
[/quote]

He’s most likely a gamer. WoW or something that requires you pushing buttons constantly and such.

Yes, we do monitor cheating. Unfortunately, it is not possible to always complete our processes in a quick and timely manor. We have systems and procedures in place which we must follow and tend to require two members of our anti-cheat team. Also, in cases of the persons which you listed, we keep a sharp eye on them.

~Century0

Even if gaming was their excuse that means they game for 24 hours a day 7 days a week, give me a break :smiley:

As stated above I know there are people out there who top my keys, I type a lot but definitely no where near the most. But in cases like the above there is no possible way in life to get 1.44 KP/s over that amount of time. It really means one of three things.

1.) They are already dead and their ghost has nothing better to do (keep dreaming).
2.) They have WP installed on many computers in a lab (violation of terms)
3.) They are using some sort of program to simulate the keys/clicks (cheating)

Notice they have not moved the mouse at all? Who sits at a computer without ever moving a mouse?

[quote=idle0ne]Even if gaming was their excuse that means they game for 24 hours a day 7 days a week, give me a break :smiley:

As stated above I know there are people out there who top my keys, I type a lot but definitely no where near the most. But in cases like the above there is no possible way in life to get 1.44 KP/s over that amount of time. It really means one of three things.

1.) They are already dead and their ghost has nothing better to do (keep dreaming).
3.) They are using some sort of program to simulate the keys/clicks (cheating)

Notice they have not moved the mouse at all? Who sits at a computer without ever moving a mouse?[/quote]

You can disable clicks or mouse movement.

~Century0

[quote=Century0]You can disable clicks or mouse movement.

~Century0[/quote]

Thanks for the information.

You’re welcome. You can even disable your keys if you want. Haha.

~Century0

I’d like to elaborate on a point already made here…

There are 86,400 seconds in a day, so to get 1KPS you’d need to type that many keys per day. 1.44kps would be about 124,416eys per day. (I fail at math, please check and correct this as needed)

When I am really, really into a game (which sadly, rarely happens these days) and end up playing it for 12+ hours straight I can break 100k in a day, with the right kind of game. And while I don’t have the time, interest, or shear fortitude to do this for more than two -possibly three- days, there are some people where 12+ hours of gaming is their daily lives.

It should also be noted that older versions of Whatpulse didn’t track your mouse movement. Many users -while I think it is a bad idea and silly- like to ‘save up’ their keystrokes and use them all in one big pulse. This could -depending on the join dates- explain why they have no mouse movement. (on a side note, I know a person who (while sadly not using Whatpulse) has disabled his mouse track on his laptop because he prefers to just use keyboard shortcuts)

However, I agree with the OP that most of the people on the leaderboard are likely cheaters. However, I also like that the people who run this site don’t seem to want to ban someone without proper proof.

I would rather the Whatpulse rulers be a little too cautious than ban happy.

And in the end, is it a big deal? Sadly it does mess up some of the larger statistics (I wonder what percentage of the total my team really has, minus cheaters), but at it doesn’t effect our personal or team stats in any way.

On a side note; Occasionally someone will pulse with some crazy number with like nine set of zeros behinds it. With these cheaters, I have noticed a very quick response time from the rulers.

I play my fair share of WoW over the years. One thing i can confirm with you that it is impossible to pull millions and millions of keys from hours of constant plays (including PvP).

I play a rts game most days and when i’m not in game there is a chat open all the time. i normally get around 100k keypresses everyday and more on weekends when i have more time. i’ve only used this for about a month and i’m on >1,000,000 key presses and >400,000 clicks.
my game isn’t even that centralised around keypresses, it is mostly just clicking.

I press 1.08 keys/sec on average. Sure, that’s not normal usage – I do press keys on purpose. Whenever I’m reading something, I’m pressing keys.
But it’s perfectly possible to get high key counts. (I used to get about 1.40 last year.)

OMG, that’s too funny!.. OCD, much?! :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

The thing is: it’s the average, right?! So, any deviation (from this) would have resulted in that number dropping (and significantly?!)

^^ Meaning, even if aaaaaa123456789 is pressing keys - like, ALL of the time - what happens when they’re asleep /PC is off.

Yes, it is, absolutely! xD

P.S.[quote=“idle0ne, post:4, topic:10106”]1.) They are already dead and their ghost has nothing better to do (keep dreaming).
3.) They are using some sort of program to simulate the keys/clicks (cheating)[/quote]

This. Farming and such is illegal in the game, as well as for WhatPulse.

Edit: Had to bump it, because, you know…:slight_smile:

Watching videos, movies, or reading I tend to press at least 4 keys on my keyboard to keep the fingers of my left hand nice and nimble and to keep my left arm from ever cramping up during long sessions of Dota 2 or Starcraft 2. 1 key/s is a very easy thing to achieve and if I’m grinding on WoW for 6 hours I can near .8 key/s and that’s before I even get into school work, or chatting with peoples on steam. I don’t see how anyone could figure getting 120,000 keys in a normal 16 hour day is hard.

Come on, man… I was just browsing the forums and noticed this ^^ post /reply. A 16 hour day, on the computer /keyboard… Leaving 8 hours for everything else? Puh-lease. ;-/