Ability to Pulse at a Certain Time

Hi all,

I know I’m new to the forum, but I just wanted to make a quick feature suggestion.

I set WhatPulse to pulse every 24 hours because I like to see (ideally) each day’s statistics, and have my pulses at a consistent time. However, I typically use a laptop, and sometimes having my laptop in a power state other than on (hibernate, sleep, off, etc.) when WhatPulse is scheduled to pulse sets the pulse timer back to infinity (it will never pulse, but the time remaining to pulse keeps increasing). I was thinking that instead of trying to tackle this problem (which would be involved, I assume), it could be possible to introduce a field similar to the “Pulse every X hours/keystrokes/mouseclicks” ones present in the setup now.

My proposal is to add an option that allows a user to set a designated time of day to pulse. For instance, say I want to pulse every night at 1am. There can be checkboxes corresponding to each day of the week, and then a set of drop-down boxes with each hour and minute listed (with am/pm, as well). In this scenario, I would check all the boxes (so that there is a pulse every day of the week) and then input 1:00 am in the boxes. This allows quite a bit of flexibility as to when to pulse, while still keeping the other options available.

The major winner for this feature would be that if a pulse is missed (say, my computer is hibernating from 11pm to 6am, thereby missing the pulse at 1am), the timer will not try to count down from where it left off; it will simply pick up in the middle of the day, counting down to 1am again. The pulse that was missed is essentially skipped, and the program will pulse at the same time again the next night. This ensures that the pulse is at the same time daily (which I like, for consistency’s sake), and the stats can still be averaged to a reasonable accuracy, even if a pulse is missed.

So, what do you think? Is this viable, or am I the only one who would use this feature? Please let me know if there are any questions or elaboration needed, I would be glad to expand on this idea if it’s confusing at any point.

Oops, I’ve made a very newbish mistake.

The same idea was suggested over a year ago in this thread: forums.whatpulse.org/showthread.php?t=4738 (I had to remove the http because I haven’t made enough posts to link yet. Again, my apologies.)

I’ll keep this thread open in case the extra detail is found insightful, but I apologize for posting another thread with the same suggestion.

My bad, all.

Not a problem, you’ve definitely supported the idea with great detail and I’m more than happy to leave this thread open and see what support comes your way. I honestly can’t say I disagree with this being an added feature at one point in time.

~Century0
P.S.: Welcome to the forums.

Can you please add this to our Redmine tracker? It will quickly get lost and forgotten on the forums. (:

[quote=Century0]Not a problem, you’ve definitely supported the idea with great detail and I’m more than happy to leave this thread open and see what support comes your way. I honestly can’t say I disagree with this being an added feature at one point in time.

~Century0
P.S.: Welcome to the forums.[/quote]

Century,

Thanks for leaving the thread open and seeing the usefulness of the idea. :slight_smile:

Bob,

I’ve added a feature request to the Redmine tracker. It’s titled “Ability to Pulse at a User-Defined Time of Day” and is just a cross-post of the main two paragraphs of the feature, as outlined in my first post. Thanks for pointing me in the correct direction.

Thanks!

Some people in my team and i myself would really like this feature to be added.

Please do not bump old threads, instead, suggest that it is added here:
http://forums.whatpulse.org/showthread.php?p=29296

Or, you can always use the redmine / bug tracker, and suggest features there.

[quote=Carbon]Please do not bump old threads, instead, suggest that it is added here:
http://forums.whatpulse.org/showthread.php?p=29296

Or, you can always use the redmine / bug tracker, and suggest features there.[/quote]

[quote=Century0]Not a problem, you’ve definitely supported the idea with great detail and I’m more than happy to leave this thread open and see what support comes your way. I honestly can’t say I disagree with this being an added feature at one point in time.

~Century0
P.S.: Welcome to the forums.[/quote]

For some reason I find this hilarious.

I fully support this. I don’t use that feature as I actively track my keys through the geek window and pulse (almost) every day anyway, but there’s at least 100 people on my team who would use this, so it would be a great implementation.