2.0 Client - Can't get computer names

So, I installed the brand spanking new WP 2.0 and now I can’t get my computer information from the server.

The problem occurs when trying to log on into existing account and I just CAN’T get the info. No error messages, no crashes, no nothing. It just stays there saying “Retrieving computers…”.

I’ve reinstalled WP couple of times now. Reinstalled VC++. Ran the program as an administrator but nothing has worked even slightly.

I’m running Windows 7 x64.

I had the same problem. Didn’t get an error or anything. I managed to get it to work by removing the last character from my password. NOTE: I didn’t change my password on the website, I just didn’t type the last character into the client.

I stumbled onto this fix while testing the problem. I was trying to see if I could get a “Wrong Password” message.

I’m not sure why it worked, the last character of my password was an “&”, so maybe the client has a problem with some special characters.

Don’t know if that’s any help to you, but I thought it’s worth mentioning.

It just so happened to be that I had & as a second letter in password. Changed password and now I got my computer info.

I can understand the use of special characters in passwords, but 98% of all sites that use passwords have systems that can only understand alphanumeric (0-9, A-Z, a-z) sequences.

Excellent, I’m glad that I could help.

So it seems like the WhatPulse client cannot handle “&” symbols in passwords. (The website seems to handle them correctly)

I think you may have made up that statistic, most of the sites that I use accept special characters. If a site is storing passwords ‘properly’, eg. using a secure salted hash, then it shouldn’t matter what characters are in the password. It annoys me when sites impose restrictions like alphanumeric characters only.