WPW file problems

So it seems that every time I restart my computer WhatPulse stops working. I had stopped using the program because in the previous version there would be corruption of one of the files when my computer crashed. I was assured that things were better with this new version and I installed it. Now, even when I do a proper shutdown, I am being told constantly that my WPW file was created with a previous version and I end up having to reinstall WhatPulse to get it to work again.

WTF kids? WTF?

Its strange how whatpulse seems to encounter so many different problems on different machines, it is possible that there is a conflict with another peice of software on the computer, that’s all I can think of :s

You’re using Vista, aren’t you?

I have exactly the same problem. It started three days ago, saying that :

With an “OK” button. When clicked, WhatPulse closes.

When WhatPulse.wpw is deleted, the message appears again (yeah even if there’s no WhatPulse.wpw anymore).

When I restart the computer: same thing.

I tried to uninstall/install WhatPulse again: It worked until I shut down the computer. When I reboot: see previous case.

I’m running the last version available, as I registered less than a week ago. Oh, and I have Vista as well. And only one profile/installation.

Is there anyone who knows what to do when this problem appears?

Ohhhh, I wouldn’t ever recommend tweaking the registry for whatpulse. If the uninstaller doesn’t take care of it on its own, that’s a problem that needs to be taken care of through the uninstaller.

Of course, I’m beginning to wonder if we’ll eventually need a separate whatpulse installer that caters to the security demands of Windows Vista. In XP, the default location to stick your programs is your program files folder. Though I do suppose that part of the reason I never had that problem with whatpulse in my VERY short stint with Vista was because I never used that directory to install ANYTHING.

But anyways, as I understand it, UAC wants things to go in a certain place and act in a certain way (that’s still beyond my understanding, but I’m just starting to figure it out, I guess), and there needs to be a way to address that issue - a way to “play ball” with Vista, in a sense.

(Hmm, maybe it could be handled by simple checkboxes in the installer - check here for XP or older, check here for Vista and Server 2007)

Im using XP. My computer crashed, and i get this error too now.
I had 900.000 unpulsed keys at whatpulse. do i lose them if i delete the wpw-file? if yes, how can i make whatpulse work without losing them?

[quote=Assassin]Im using XP. My computer crashed, and i get this error too now.
I had 900.000 unpulsed keys at whatpulse. do i lose them if i delete the wpw-file? if yes, how can i make whatpulse work without losing them?[/quote]

Unfortunately, you lose them if you delete the wpw file. And yes, I’ve been in your exact position before - I think the keys are gone. I’ve seen a wpw.bak backup file in there, but that typically doesn’t work, either :frowning:

Well I’ve found out that the “wpw” error appears on my machine if I change network :s

When I’m on my laptop at home everything is fine, If I then go and use a friends network i get the error (once the file is deleted it’s fine again), then once I go back to my home network the same thing happens.

On another note, if your using vista try disabling UAC - I think somone recomended that to me and it sorted my problem out :slight_smile:

Of course, disabling UAC shouldn’t really be the solution - it’s disabling a security measure in your operating system just to get whatpulse running.

I had the same problem, but running WhatPulse as an Administrator worked for me… :smiley:

Do not (!!) install in program files when you are using vista.

Install here:
C:/USERS/[Name of users]/

instead of:
C:/Program Files/

Unless you’re using the administrator, then you shouldn’t have a problem. :smiley: