Wpm

Hey guys,

I feel stupid posting this, as I feel I have missed a basic setting here. I would like the Geek Window to show how many words have been typed in the last 60 seconds, ie. WPM. I feel it would be good to help keep people on their game, make it a number to beat, always challenging them to be better typists. Like a meter of awesomeness. Normally, people just go to typingtest.com or something, but built into WhatPulse would be much better.

Ones do exist, but only on Windows as far as I can tell. This would be easy to put into WhatPulse on all platforms. I could submit a patch to SVN, Git, etc. if it’s open source. If not, this is me requesting the feature.

Thanks!

That would be pretty cool to have. I like the idea. :3

Forgot to mention, WhatPulse could analyze what is being typed, or it could simply go on the basis that the average word is roughly 5 characters, plus 1 for a space, and thus WPM = keys in the last 60 seconds / 6. perhapstga.blogspot.com/2005/01/average-characters-per-word-english.html

That applies to English. I suppose it’s more complicated to cover the wide range of languages. :smiley: Though not impossible.

I’m not so comfortable with the idea of whatpulse analyzing what gets typed, but there may be a simple-ish way of taking care of this without too much modification to the client. I suppose one approach might be to consider the number of characters and the average length of words, then come up with a fairly rudimentary WPM system. It might be something like “WPM since last pulse” though – that seems like the easiest thing to program. I can see potential bugs too, but something like this could eventually work out.

No idea if it’ll get implemented, but it’s a great idea!

In theory it’s simple, and won’t monitor anything anymore than it already does so there should be no privacy concerns.

It won’t become a part of the website, only part of the client, just to make that clear. I’m sure you know that anyway.

I’ll certainly keep it in mind and you’ve given me another idea for a feature which I will keep secret, so thanks! :slight_smile:

[quote=EricMuyser]Hey guys,

I feel stupid posting this, as I feel I have missed a basic setting here. I would like the Geek Window to show how many words have been typed in the last 60 seconds, ie. WPM. I feel it would be good to help keep people on their game, make it a number to beat, always challenging them to be better typists. Like a meter of awesomeness. Normally, people just go to typingtest.com or something, but built into WhatPulse would be much better.

Thanks![/quote]

Hey there, yea very cool idea we’ve been throwing around for awhile now about WPM, as well as some VERY cool other features to make WPM even niftier ;D

[quote=X-Kal]I’m not so comfortable with the idea of whatpulse analyzing what gets typed, but there may be a simple-ish way of taking care of this without too much modification to the client. I suppose one approach might be to consider the number of characters and the average length of words, then come up with a fairly rudimentary WPM system. It might be something like “WPM since last pulse” though – that seems like the easiest thing to program. I can see potential bugs too, but something like this could eventually work out.

No idea if it’ll get implemented, but it’s a great idea![/quote]

The idea is to create another section of the website kinda like a GAME ROOM, where there would BE typing games, as well as other activities like bubble shooting type games, anything to really rack up the stats, as well as keep people ON the website and coming back for more nods

Need to idle with us more btw X-Kal so you’re in the loop as far as the ideas we have! ;D This is just a very basic idea of MANY different suggestions for the website, i’ve been soliciting ideas from a LOT of different communities and have had a great response :smiley:

[quote=PinkFloyd]The idea is to create another section of the website kinda like a GAME ROOM, where there would BE typing games, as well as other activities like bubble shooting type games, anything to really rack up the stats, as well as keep people ON the website and coming back for more nods

Need to idle with us more btw X-Kal so you’re in the loop as far as the ideas we have! ;D This is just a very basic idea of MANY different suggestions for the website, i’ve been soliciting ideas from a LOT of different communities and have had a great response :D[/quote]

Oh, I’m somewhat in the loop, unless you mean idle in IRC. I’ve been lurking here & reading posts now and then. I’ll get to posting more often, though! :slight_smile:

You are! And you’ve been IRC a lot more lately, I hafto say that :smiley: Keep it up sir! ;p

The idea of adding a game section sounds pretty badass. I’m sure Sellyme would have a field day with that. xD