Windows 7 Beta + Whatpulse

Sorry to interrupt here, but this is NOT sloppy programming. And it happens with Vista too.

This is actually a security feature. If WhatPulse could easily read keystrokes of programs with elevated rights, though not running with elevated rights itself, every other program could do so too. Including keyloggers and trojan horses. And if they could be read the could be changed too. This is why you can’t do anything in programs running as admin via VNC - if VNC is not running as admin (default and should not be changed).

Administrator privileges mean a higher possibility for important data being entered so that was protected.

[quote=FamilienVater]Sorry to interrupt here, but this is NOT sloppy programming. And it happens with Vista too.

This is actually a security feature. If WhatPulse could easily read keystrokes of programs with elevated rights, though not running with elevated rights itself, every other program could do so too. Including keyloggers and trojan horses. And if they could be read the could be changed too. This is why you can’t do anything in programs running as admin via VNC - if VNC is not running as admin (default and should not be changed).

Administrator privileges mean a higher possibility for important data being entered so that was protected.[/quote]

That’s what I was thinking too. I don’t really see how it could be slopping programming either, considering all it does is use built-in Windows hooks which haven’t changed - only the security around them.

This issue is seemingly becoming more of something to add to the knowledge base and as a sticky in the forums.

[QUOTE=bobL]This issue is seemingly becoming more of something to add to the knowledge base and as a sticky in the forums.[/quote]approved

i use the windows 7 rc1
i write momentanly a cms and lost yesterday good 40000 counts cause i dont noticed it.

i still dont found a way to run a process in windows 7 in “realtime”.
i remember that whatpulse was running in windows xp in “realtime” and not “high”
will that priority maybe change something?

I absolutely agree with Familienvater and bobL here - WhatPulse cannot be allowed to read keystrokes from programs with elevated permissions as long it itsn’t running in elevated mode itself.

The thing I find interesting is that a UAC prompt causes WhatPulse to behave “weird” - I’ll try to play around with different UAC settings this week and post my feedback. At the moment I don’t think that it’s a WhatPulse issue but rather a problem in Windows where key/mouse hooks aren’t correctly reactivated after a UAC prompt, but without any detailled knowledge about WhatPulse or the Windows API (I stopped app development under Windows a long time ago) I can’t say more; therefore I’ll just play around and try things :slight_smile:

Greetz
alcaeus

Thanks alcaeus!

@Gottz: We tried high-priority once, Windows didn’t seem to like it so we dumped that.

screenshot:

srsly i changed my account security settings and some windows settings and also some other stuff.
because i trust my antivirus software and firewall (Kaspersky Internet Security 2009) i dont care about some crappy windows security settings.

for me whatpulse is now only freezing if my cpu usage went up to 100%
that sometimes happen if i view a movie in fullhd, render a image, compile something etc.
i got only a 1,7 ghz intel centrino mobile and a singlecore.
sysprofile.de/id28876

for me it looks like a cpu usage that is messing with system parts cause in input laggs (mouse / keyboard /gamepads etc.)
this laggs mess with whatpulse too and freeze it.

tell me if i’m wrong

PS:
i dont got whatpulse freezes with the old version that got the old what pulse tray icon. thats now a long time ago but i think i remember freezes since that update

[quote=GottZ]screenshot:

srsly i changed my account security settings and some windows settings and also some other stuff.
because i trust my antivirus software and firewall (Kaspersky Internet Security 2009) i dont care about some crappy windows security settings.

for me whatpulse is now only freezing if my cpu usage went up to 100%
that sometimes happen if i view a movie in fullhd, render a image, compile something etc.
i got only a 1,7 ghz intel centrino mobile and a singlecore.
sysprofile.de/id28876

for me it looks like a cpu usage that is messing with system parts cause in input laggs (mouse / keyboard /gamepads etc.)
this laggs mess with whatpulse too and freeze it.

tell me if i’m wrong

PS:
i dont got whatpulse freezes with the old version that got the old what pulse tray icon. thats now a long time ago but i think i remember freezes since that update[/quote]

Because you keep it in real time, WhatPulse is smothered by the 100% computer rate. WhatPulse 1.6 runs in high priority or normal priority. Try adjusting your settings to this.

As well, Kaspersky is a good choice. :slight_smile:

~Century0

[quote=Century0]Because you keep it in real time, WhatPulse is smothered by the 100% computer rate. WhatPulse 1.6 runs in high priority or normal priority. Try adjusting your settings to this.

As well, Kaspersky is a good choice. :slight_smile:

~Century0[/quote]

hm. maybe you dont understood what i wrote cause of my crappy english…
so you want to tell me that you know what i have tryed since a month…

to say it clearly:

i know about this input lags i told about, not only from windows 7.
i got them also in windows xp and linux if my cpu get used elevated.

for me it looks like the thread management in windows 7 is not that good for singlecore processors and cant handle other processes while a elevated thread is running, even if it runs in normal priority.

example:
i run a program that is eating my cpu a bit.
whatpulse is running in realtime priority.
whatpulse is maybe still logging.
i change the priority from whatpulse to normal or below.
whatpulse stops logging.
i change it back.
whatpulse is still not logging.
rightclick → exit → restart…

[quote=GottZ]hm. maybe you dont understood what i wrote cause of my crappy english…

to say it clearly:

for me it looks like the thread management in windows 7 is not that good for singlecore processors and cant handle other processes while a elevated thread is running, even if it runs in normal priority.

example:
whatpulse stops logging.
i change it back.
rightclick → exit → restart…[/quote]

Odd, and you are free to write your responses in English & German if you want. I tend to be able to read both. :stuck_out_tongue:

This makes a weird story though. I’ll wait for bobL’s response before saying more.

~Century0

My keys are working fine, but the clicks stopped working after a while.
I dont know why. They worked originally, but stopped. Any idea what to do?

Nevermind. I read annother thread and figured it out.

It’s strange, mine didn’t work for the first few days of running Windows 7 but now it works just like it used to in Vista. No change at all.

[quote=GottZ]hm. maybe you dont understood what i wrote cause of my crappy english…

to say it clearly:

example:
whatpulse stops logging.
i change it back.
rightclick → exit → restart…[/quote]

Sounds like if you stop screwing around with the priorities you won’t have this issue anymore.

it really sounds like that?
srsly i still keep telling that whatpulse is not working for me…

ok again…

i force windows to use whatpulse in lowest priority
→ stops working. pretty fast

i leave it untouched after a clean system start
→ stops working

i force windows to use whatpulse in realtime priority
→ stops working. but not that fast

hope you understood me now -.-

edit:
around 20k a day in the last month… srsly… i wrote much more in that time -.-
/me is looking to some filesizes of some scripts i made recently

edit2:
now i run Windows 7 RTM and got still the SAME issue.