WhatPulse doesn't count keys whithin virtual machine

I’m running WhatPulse 2.4 on Windows 8.1 x64 in conjunction with the VMware Player 6.0.2 and an Ubuntu 12.04 virtual machine. When I am working within the virtual machine, my keystrokes are not recorded.

Since other stats like clicks, download and upload are recorded within the vm, installing WhatPulse on Ubuntu is not an option. Running WhatPulse with administrator privileges doesn’t solve the problem.

Any suggestions how to solve this problem?

You’re not supposed to be able to record virtual keys and clicks on a remote or virtual machine if that’s what you’re trying to do.
What is intended and you should be doing is to record the keys and clicks on the physical machine. If that’s what you tried to do and it didn’t work then indeed there’s a problem.

Thats exactly my problem. I am running a virtual Ubuntu on a physical machine (in a window or fullscreen). Every time i tab into this window (the VMware Player), my keys on this physical machine are not recorded until I tab out again to another window.

I can second this. I use VM’s daily and anytime I’m working within one, physical key presses no longer get recorded within whatpulse.

Just tested it on my VM on Windows 7 x64 and it works, so it might be a problem with Windows 8. Never used it so I don’t know what to suggest.

I also don’t personally use VMWare, but my understanding is that it is disabled because we cannot tell if the clicks are being counted in the virtual machine or not, therefore, WhatPulse ignores it in both. Martijn will be able to give you a better answer, but I believe that’s the case.

~Century0

It’s not on purpose, as Century0 suggested. It’s basically because if the input gets ‘stolen’ from Windows and not sent to other applications, but if VMware Workstation keeps it to itself, the client will not receive any keys or clicks.

I’ve got reports that Parallels on Windows 8 does this, but I haven’t experienced VMware Workstation doing this on Windows 8, and I’m using it.

But unfortunately, there’s not much we can do about it, as the events are not sent to the client.