WhatPulse crashing and burning CPU on wake from sleep/hibernation

Hi!

My issue appears to be similar to this: High CPU Usage - On wake-up - #5 by ClayC

Some (but not all of the time), on my Framework (1135G7; 32GB RAM Win10 21H2); WhatPulse will crash upon resuming from sleep/hibernation and burn enormous amounts of CPU power in this state until killed and brought back, where then it will work fine until a subsequent unlucky resume.

In writing this, I’ve tried to trigger it, but it seems as though it may require a longer time suspended, so when next I encounter this, I will attempt to get screenshots to exemplify my issue.

If there are other pieces of helpful information I should provide, please inform me.

Thanks!

Here we go!

Upon wake, see that it’s unhappy, click once on the window, see this:

How it appears in Task Manager:

And in Process Hacker 2 (though I don’t know what I’m doing, really):

(I know very little about the stack):

(Though Process Hacker 2 seems to indicate that it’s not using that much CPU; I really don’t know how it’s reported.)

Aha!

Looking at WhatPulse’s (AppData/Local/whatpulse/app.log), it seems as though it may be having issues with Pcap stuff.
Here are the last two lines, the first of which seems to be commonplace in the log.
03-05-2022 21:55:59.515 DEBUG GetModuleFileNameEx failed for processId: 66364 0 03-05-2022 21:55:59.616 DEBUG void __thiscall PcapNetworkTrafficMonitor::refreshInterfaces(void) Unable to find network interfaces via normal APIs, trying pcap alternative..

Anyway, I’d appreciate advice about how to have WhatPulse…not do this and hang until manually killed and restarted.

Thanks!

Hi @Tedster - this is an issue with the networking stack. When the timing is just right and the network of your computer isn’t online yet, the client can go into a spin. It’s been fixed in the 4.0 beta, which will be generally released soon.

1 Like

Thanks!

I’ve now installed the update and it seems good, though I prefer the previous UI :grin:

Let’s see if all is well (: