v1.6 resetting counters

Hi,

I installed v1.6 last night after receiving the notification email. I had about 7,000 keys unpulsed. After installation, all my preferences had been reset to defaults and the counters had all been reset to zero. Also, all the key frequency stats generated by v1.5 had been reset to zero. I continued using the computer with v1.6 running, making sure all the counters were keeping up, which they were. I shut the machine down at night and powered it up this morning only to find that it had reset all the counters to zero again.

I just now shut the client down and started it up again and it has kept the counters up to date this time, but I haven’t tried rebooting or shutting down yet.

I’m not too concerned because I haven’t lost much, but if this keeps happening it will be frustrating.

edit: added more detail

[quote=ahpla]Hi,
I installed v1.6 last night after receiving the notification email. I had about 7,000 keys unpulsed. After installation, all my preferences had been reset to defaults and the counters had all been reset to zero. Also, all the key frequency stats generated by v1.5 had been reset to zero.[/quote]

That’s by default, since 1.5 doesn’t use registry settings and 1.6 does. Also, the WhatPulse data file has moved from Program Files to %APPDATA% in 1.6, hence why your counters reset.

[quote=ahpla]I continued using the computer with v1.6 running, making sure all the counters were keeping up, which they were. I shut the machine down at night and powered it up this morning only to find that it had reset all the counters to zero again.

I just now shut the client down and started it up again and it has kept the counters up to date this time, but I haven’t tried rebooting or shutting down yet.[/quote]

I’m unable to reproduce this. Can you please try restarting your computer and see if the counters stick? What operating system are you using?

All OK this morning so I suppose it was a one off. This is on 32-bit XP SP3. I should add, that when this happened (after the first shutdown->startup) the preferences were all reset to defaults as well. Maybe the client had some problem adding entries to the registry the first time it was started up. :confused:

Anyway, the only other problem I’m seeing is with the tooltip for the systray icon. It always gets cut short at the edge of the screen. I’ve uploaded a screenshot here: http://img22.imageshack.us/img22/4505/tooltip.jpg.

[quote=ahpla]All OK this morning so I suppose it was a one off. This is on 32-bit XP SP3. I should add, that when this happened (after the first shutdown->startup) the preferences were all reset to defaults as well. Maybe the client had some problem adding entries to the registry the first time it was started up. :confused:

Anyway, the only other problem I’m seeing is with the tooltip for the systray icon. It always gets cut short at the edge of the screen. I’ve uploaded a screenshot here: hxxp://img22.imageshack.us/img22/4505/tooltip.jpg.[/quote]

Thanks for the tooltip bug. I’ll fix this for the next maintenance release.

I will be making changes to the way registry settings are handled in future version so hopefully most issues will be fixed by then. :slight_smile: