No pulsing of correct download

Hello, i just noticed that when i download files, the download counted and the download pulsed is different.

If you look at the pictures you can see the “Today download” and the “Unpulsed Download” is different.

Is there any way to fix this?

(Running Windows 7 pro x64)
(Running Whatpulse 2.1.1)

Thanks!

[attachment=210]

[attachment=212]

The only bandwidth counted for the unpulsed stats, is internet traffic - it does not count local traffic.

Quite interesting, and confusing.

I´m just not too sure what you define as “local” traffic, it didn´t count my files yesterday from/to 192.168.0.105 while that server is in another country, sure its a “local” ip but its not hard to find out that its actualy not local because BGP routes it through a bunch of tunnels and routers (Same way how the internet works…)

1 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms mikrotik.box [192.168.0.5]
2 26 ms 25 ms 25 ms 10.156.67.25
3 23 ms 23 ms 28 ms 10.156.67.18
4 24 ms 25 ms 31 ms XXX-XXX-XXX [192.168.0.105]

I mean, it did go trough my home router on my WAN port. Just becuase its inside a VPN dosn´t mean its local though…

Ofc,i could set NAT and Firewall of the remote server, swich to a more secure transfer method, disable password auth and all that and it would count, but why is that required? Where is the line?

It’s pretty straightforward; internal IPs are ignored for unpulsed traffic. Mind the unpulsed word there, as the other network traffic counters that are in the client, are not subject to this.

I do get that, just not the reasoning. Like what does it count then?
It won´t count my steam or other stuff for some people.
It dosn´t count windows updateds for some people.
It dosn´t count windows store stuff for some people.

At the end its just a random number with no meaning. Kinda pointless.

I now routed a public subnet i own in my internal network, so all traffic will be pulsed. Kinda wasting IPv4s but if thats what it takes ^^

WhatPulse is an app for personal statistics. Most people don’t have servers VPN’d to their networks, or advanced setups like that. Sure, you have local storage, but that’s not interesting traffic. Again, it’ll count internet traffic, simple as that. Your examples are not entirely correct, as most people get those updates from the internet, only enterprise environments have those kinds of things locally.

The reasoning is simple: people (like yourself, I’m assuming) would take all day to transfer files back and forth between their local devices in order to climb up the rankings.

Again, the locally transferred traffic is counted just fine, just not towards unpulsed, i.e. the online rankings.