Never Opening on Startup

Hey users of WhatPulse! I would just like to ask you guys if you can assist me on an issue I have been having for a while now. So basically whenever I restart or shut down my PC and boot it up and try to launch WhatPulse it never opens or even opens in the system tray. The only way I can fix it is by uninstalling the program and that Wincap software and re-installing it. Yet whenever I restart it never opens again. I am running windows 8.1 and I definitely know I can run the software on on i7, 8GB of ram, and a TB of HDD space. Thanks guys :cool: Also the video here basically sums up my issues: [video=youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQcetbOUrAk

I’ve had a similar issue to this before. Try right-clicking it and hit “Run as Administrator.”

Sadly have tried that and nothing came up. Also I have it to always run as administrator when I open it and still noting. I also have windows booting in normal mode if that means anything.

Just a quick bump because there is no recent replies

Something is blocking it from running, have a look at your client log that’s inside your data directory (http://whatpulse.org/kb/content/2/6/en/data-files.html). Maybe it will tell you what is blocking it.

Okay ill look up on it. Also could you send a new link because that one is dead. Thanks!

Just remove the ) at the end :wink:

Still cant seem t find out the issue :frowning:

Shoot me an email, inquisitor911[at]gmail[dotcom]. If you’d be willing to do a remote desktop session with me, I might be able to figure it out for you.

Sure ill get on it

Just a quick bump!

I am having the same issue, also on 8.1, except it would appear according to app.txt in the data directory that I am running… I have multiple repeats of this at the end of the log

I just can’t see the main window or the tray icon. Can’t even kill whatpulse.exe from the task manager.

Here is it starting up

I have disabled UAC notifications to no avail.

It must be something with 8.1 because I am running it as well!

Hi, just wanted to inform you guys that I have the same issue with Win 7 64 bit. After booting up my PC I have to start WhatPulse manually ~ 9/10 times.

Since I use Hibernate and Stand By mode a lot it is not that much of an issue for me personally, but it would be nice if I could trust WhatPulse again after every start, too.

You are very lucky. At least you can manage to get your WhatPulse to start but so far for me I can’t get it to start without a fresh install but the next time I restart…it won’t open. I am getting a new PC soon but it still comes with Windows 8 so if it still never opens it might possibly be the OS? That’s the last clue that I really have.

[quote=“itzhalo, post:15, topic:13197”]
You are very lucky. At least you can manage to get your WhatPulse to start but so far for me I can’t get it to start without a fresh install but the next time I restart…it won’t open. I am getting a new PC soon but it still comes with Windows 8 so if it still never opens it might possibly be the OS? That’s the last clue that I really have.[/quote]

Not trying to hijack a different topic, but it sounds like something is blocking the WhatPulse client from writing your settings…

There’s a ‘data directory’ where the client stores the settings. You can get there by using the “Open Data Directory” menu in the “Advanced” button on the Settings tab.

Check in that directory if the whatpulse.db and whatpulse.wpw files exist, if they don’t exist (when you have just booted), or are not updated…try adding an exception to your antivirus/malware/whatever for the client. Also make sure that your Windows doesn’t clear your entire profile when you log off.

It’s definitely not the OS, the client is tested up to Windows 8.1 and you’re not the only one using it (me included)…

[quote=“smitmartijn, post:16, topic:13197”]

Okay so I uninstalled whatpulse and reinstalled it with winpcap. I kept my local stats tho. So anyway when I reinstalled I could open WhatPulse. Like you said I checked the directory and found the files there. I restarted my computer and of course then when I clicked WhatPulse it wouldn’t open. I went back through to the directory manually (C:\Users\My name\AppData\Local\WhatPulse). When I got to the area all the files looked like they were still there and in place. The files were:
*app
*GeoIP.dat
*whatpulse
*whatpulse.db.backup
*whatpulse.wpw
*whatpulse.wpw.backup

I am really confused what is going on with my whatpulse.