Maybe a solution for Windows 7 problems

Yesterday I told in an other thread (now closed), that I have some problems with What Pulse using Windows 7. What pulse isn’t logging the keys properly, means: Sometimes Whatpulse seems to freeze and not count keys and clicks, mainly after the cpu was heavy in use.

I have maybe a solution now: First I tried to run Whatpulse simply as an administator, what doesnt helped. Now I deactivated the UAC and I set myself as the alone administrator of my machine, including no account password (I have a prebootprotection), and it seems to work now.

So: I think the problem could be solved by deactivating the UAC + giving Whatpulse the option to start with administrator rights. Whatpulse is logging the keys all day long correctly now.

I think your right, I did this the moment I installed Windows 7 and have had no problems with it since.

Hm, the problem is still there. Sometimes Whatpulse is not logging…but it seems, that the deactived UAC decreased that the problem happens.

It is really annoying. I know you do this here in your freetime but then you have to make yourself a decision, if you put time into it, or not, and maybe let others do the work.

And please don’t come with the excuse “Windows 7 isn’t released yet so we don’t support it”, because it is a really silly excuse. Windows 7 is already released in MSDNAA and TechNet and the avaiable RTM-version is the version we will get on the date when Windows 7 comes into the stores.

And: Windows 7 is kinda like a updated Windows Vista, I dont have any driverproblems, because Windows 7 is kinda the same like Vista! Just Whatpulse is making problems.

How do you figure that it’s WhatPulse’s problem when you say that W7 is basically the same as Vista and yet WhatPulse works on Vista? :expressionless:

As Century0 said in the other thread, W7 is not released to the public yet and that is when I will consider it officially released. I will be getting it in November and that is when I will try and figure out how Windows 7 manages to break WhatPulse in so many new ways.

If other people wanted to work on WhatPulse, we’d let them. However everyone that’s stepped forward in the past has given the code one look and then either done nothing or disappeared. I know things get annoying when they don’t work, but remember that Windows 7 is trying to keep users as secure as possible which can break things like WhatPulse. When we have a resolution, there will be an update. As with all WhatPulse releases, there is not a set timelimit for it, it will be ready when it’s ready.

In addition to this, the Mac client is a lot worse off when it comes to cross-OS-version compatibility and even though wasted is doing his level best to make it work, I would rather see new programmers work on that instead of the Windows client, since for a few people, at least, WhatPulse works almost fine on Windows 7 and it works fine on XP and Vista, the two most widely used OS’s in the world. And again, Windows 7 hasn’t been released to the general public yet so is not officially released no matter how you want to look at it.

Somone complained in a previous post that my advice (which mostly consisted of either reinstall Whatpulse or run in at admin) was useless. I’d just like to say that the advice I’d given worked for myself and other people which was the only reason I gave it. Rant Over. ¬¬

I want to make my point loud and clear here: I do not want another thread that is derailed by comments on whether or not we should support Windows 7 here. If another comment is made on us needing to support Windows 7, this thread will be closed again and suspensions will occur. I made my decision, as did bobL to not support the new operating system until it is actually RoR (released to retail). Respect this decision.

I apologize if this sounds rude in any way or form. I am just attempting to have these forums used for what they were designed for. We understand that there are WhatPulse users on Windows 7 having issues. But the argument cannot be sustained until it is released to retail.

Thank you,
Century0

[quote=Century0]If another comment is made on us needing to support Windows 7, this thread will be closed again and suspensions will occur.
[/quote]

Just punish the users who do it, not the people who want to discuss how to get it working in Windows 7. It’s stupid to lock all these threads, windows 7 is being used and therefore is going to be discussed, if you don’t want people to demand that you support it then ban those that do.

In regards to the problems; I’ve got it running as administrator and compatibility mode for xp and it still disappears lots and doesn’t work properly :frowning: Hopefully someone will find a workaround :slight_smile:

[quote=citricsquid]Just punish the users who do it, not the people who want to discuss how to get it working in Windows 7. It’s stupid to lock all these threads, windows 7 is being used and therefore is going to be discussed, if you don’t want people to demand that you support it then ban those that do.

In regards to the problems; I’ve got it running as administrator and compatibility mode for xp and it still disappears lots and doesn’t work properly :frowning: Hopefully someone will find a workaround :)[/quote]

I did not say that ideas to fix it on Windows 7 would not permitted. I just said the argument on whether or not we are to support it is to cease.

~Century0

Does anyone else have a problem with whatpulse not running on startup? It’s configured to and definitely shows in the startup thing for windows, but it doesn’t. Anyone else suffering this?

I got another problem on Windows 7 Pro x64.
WP is logging perfect even without admin rights. The only problem is pulsing. I always get Invalid Token. Resetting doesn’t help even with admin rights.

Any hint?

i finaly found the reason for this issue…
its implemented in windows since vista…

have something to do with UAC but isnt UAC.

i noticed this problem with another program wich showed me a error of a access violation.
to solve this problem: DONT install whatpulse in c:\program files or equal
its for me now in D:\Programme but it would also work on something like: c:\whatpulse
other way: playing around with icacls.exe (windows shell)

there is now a second problem but i think i got this problem in windows XP a while ago too.
i share my experiences when windows 7 releases.
wont bother any dev and was never going to do that.

You can share your issue, but it just won’t be fixed until after W7 release.

aaah thx for the hint. I got this problem already in windows vista but I just forgot about it…
I installed whatbulse in c:\users\username\programs. works perfect for me in win vista and 7.

Danke GottZ :wink:

I don’t see how Vista has any relevance to this. The reason WhatPulse didn’t work well in Vista was because it couldn’t save the .wpw and other files to Program Files (nor should it). This was fixed in 1.6 though.

ok. to the issue i was hiding.
i was primary hiding it because i was not sure about it.

it was kinda hard to force, but its looking like whatpulse still stops logging for me.

but its different now.

now the logger is not stoping for both (keyboard / mouse) at the same time.

its like… i use a button while i got a high cpu usage and it could be possible that this button causes a stop.
mouse button → mouse button logger
keyboard → key logger

before both just stoped working without pressing a key.
so its kinda a win for my stats :o its just not that fast crashing as before :o

and primary i remembered about this folder issue because i was going to write a auto restarter and whatpulse was not installed where i thougt :o

i’m glad if the folder change helped some guys here :o at least it decreased my crash rate alot.

It just stopped logging again (after high CPU usage). I installed WhatPulse directly to C:\WhatPulse.

Anyone have any solutions to my problem? Whatpulse refuses to run on startup :frowning:

Have you tried installing WhatPulse elsewhere? Perhaps the startup reference is leading to the wrong place, thus can’t find the file and thus can’t start WhatPulse.

Either way it’s not a problem with WhatPulse and I stress, we do not provide support for Windows 7. As per Century0’s previous posts in this thread, we will be handing out suspensions for anyone that demands support for Windows 7, especially if the issue is not caused by WhatPulse.

[quote=bobL]Have you tried installing WhatPulse elsewhere? Perhaps the startup reference is leading to the wrong place, thus can’t find the file and thus can’t start WhatPulse.

Either way it’s not a problem with WhatPulse and I stress, we do not provide support for Windows 7. As per Century0’s previous posts in this thread, we will be handing out suspensions for anyone that demands support for Windows 7, especially if the issue is not caused by WhatPulse.[/quote]

As to continue with this, for people who are currently utilizing Windows 7: Did you install it properly, following all rules?

~Century0

Another question for you all, since I have no clue: Is WhatPulse saving the WhatPulse.wpw file to wherever WhatPulse is installed? (IE. Not saving it to Application Data, but to say, C:\WhatPulse).