Invalid Token 8 days, no second account

Still having this problem…

bumping this

It woud be appreciated if someone from the Whatpulse team would reply to this.

I’m unable to pulse, just noticed I haven’t pulsed in a couple weeks, and I’m standing at 255k+ keys that I don’t want to lose.

Can someone with the whatpulse team please reply to this?

User Id: 1922

I’ve got the same problem, when the problem first appeared I pressed “Request a new token” and lost 100k keys, after that the problem just appeared randomly. Now I always get “Invalid token” when trying to pulse and I don’t want to lose 50k keys by requesting a new token.

I’m only using WhatPulse on one computer.

Guys, I think Whatpulse is dead.

Oh and I’m set to lose 632k keys and counting.

Requesting a new token seems to fix it. Keep in mind that doing this will reset all the key strokes you’ve built up.

There’s actually quite a few good solutions in here that may help out.

In terms of getting back lost keys from invalid tokens, I haven’t seen a successful method yet - but in those cases, you’d be better off cutting your losses sooner than waiting for a solution and then losing all the keys you would have claimed.

The good solutions that seem to work include:

1. Reinstalling whatpulse. First, uninstall whatpulse. Then, delete the whatpulse folder and ALL the leftover files in there. Then, do a fresh install. That makes sure that you’re not keeping errors left over from your last installation.

2. If you’re running Vista or have trouble with nProtect’s GameGuard interfering with operations, it sometimes helps if you install the program in a non-standard location, e.g. C:\Whatpulse and not C:\Program Files\Whatpulse - that will take care of a lot of invalid token problems.

3. If you’re performing a major update to your operating system, like Windows Service Pack 1, 2 or 3, then you will want to pulse before you do the installation, then request a new token after you’re done. In theory, that would fix any issues on that front.

4. Sometimes, when you get the invalid token message, all you would need to do is close whatpulse, delete the whatpulse.wpw file, then start whatpulse again. It will ask you for your account information again, but it should be fine after that.

5. If you’re running on multiple computers, remember that they each need their own pulse profile.

6. If your computer crashes, I’d try to pulse soon thereafter - sometimes crashes will cause invalid tokens.

That’s my summary, anyways. Did I miss anything?

The fact that this error is coming up for so many people in a short time frame proves that it is not client sided, but server sided. Requesting a new token did not fix it for me. The fact that this error is not stopping means that Whatpulse is abandoned.

It’s as simple as that. You cannot blame it on the user or the user’s computer saying that it must have somehow become corrupted by chance for everyone who’s having this problem. This is a problem with the server and can only be resolved on the server end. Until it is, I will consider this Whatpulse project as a whole, abandoned. (I’m even ignoring the fact that a new version hasn’t come out in over two years, the last being a beta version)

Also, I cannot request a new token or even get into the interface anymore because right clicking does nothing with the “invalid token” message popped up, and if I close it and right click Whatpulse, it will pop up again closing the context menu instantly. Not that I want to do that right now and lose all my keys when a server fix could easily fix this anyway, if anyone would bother to touch the server.

As much as I would love to say otherwise, there’s a lot of problems that are cropping up, but not a whole lot of work is getting done to fix it. And I don’t even have the ability to try to fix any of this. Sure, I’ve got some rights to delete cheaters and mod the forums up a bit, but that’s the extent of it.

1.5 is the only new client we’ve seen in two years, and it hasn’t seen a new release in over a year. The mac and linux clients were due in August - it’s still not there yet. The server’s generating lots of invalid tokens. My solutions up there only help if it’s a clientside problem. Sometimes it is - and that’s what seems to work (although you shouldn’t see that error message THIS often - that’s ridiculous)

I’ve held out hope that something’s been around the corner for some time, but I can’t really keep that up anymore.

So…

I think there’s nothing left for me to do. I’ve posted information if there’s clientside problems (and you shouldn’t have this many!!!) and I can’t fix the server problems - that’s wasted’s job.

(his email is wasted [at] whatpulse [dot] org)

I’ll stick around and monitor the boards, but I honestly don’t think I’ll be of much help.

On a note about the server tokens - that was supposed to be the way to fix the corrupt bin files from the old version. Before, the bin files were tied to the Windows registry. Now, the token is linked to the server. There’s two things that seem to go wrong with these - things that aren’t caused by user error:

1. Windows crashes, or the user performs Windows Update. Problems are more frequent when the user installs a major service pack. There’s a backup file (whatpulse.wpw.bak in place that’s supposed to help correct errors in the case of crashes, but that seems to be updated at the same time as the normal wpw files. Thus, if one crashes, they both crash.

2. With or without the backup file, server errors will generate invalid token messages, and there’s nothing the user can do about that. You’re just plain stuck. Until the server problems get fixed, I’m betting we’ll keep seeing lots and lots of invalid tokens.

From what I can tell, the server is also dropping forum posts and causing problems when you’re linking to certain threads. If you click on a link to a recently-made forum thread, it might tell you that that’s not a valid thread URL or whatever - sometimes, refreshing it will cause the thread to show normally. Pulses are also disappearing from peoples’ profiles, and nobody’s explained that to me, or anyone. It’s still a mystery, as far as I know.

Maybe wasted has some insight, but I haven’t heard it yet.

I closed whatpulse and deleted my whatpulse.wpw file. Restarted, all my keys were gone (320k+) so I typed a few chars and pulsed. It worked (and hopefully it keeps working).

It’s just a shame I had to lose all those keys, that’s a good 2-3 weeks missed.

Yikes - yeah, for some people, it’s millions of keystrokes. I’ve lost a few hundred thousand, myself. I guess the best practice would be to pulse regularly - every 100k or so, at least.

(but if pulses are still disappearing… grr…)

I had to remove it totally and reinstall it myself :confused:

X-cal, thank you for all of your replies, you have been wonderful for responding to us.

Well this is truly crappy. After so long of invalid token and no response from a programming member, I had to uninstall, delete and reinstall.

Why does this suck so much? First, there should be support from those that program rather than X-cal being limited as to what he can do. It obviously is a server issue as so many people are having trouble with it, but -nothing- has been done.

At the least, I would request that our accounts are credited with valid information on keys, clicks and movement. I kept a backup of all files and took a screenshot as well. So I lost … 452,287 keys, 130501 clicks and 14.64 miles. This was needless and rather pissed me off.

-HOPEFULLY- any programmer will pay attention to what is going on, fix the issue and credit our account with what we -had- to lose in order to continue using Whatpulse validly.

The uninstall fixes most token problems. This should be fixed in the next build.

99% of WhatPulse issues are known and are either fixed in the next version or are on the to-do list. Many have work-arounds and a huge percentage of problems are in order: Invalid tokens, Vista and ports.

Send your .wpw files to wasted and he’ll consider adding them to your account after reviewing them. Wasted is a very busy man so it won’t be a 5-minute thing.

Please understand we do know about almost all WhatPulse bugs and solutions are provided in the next version of WhatPulse for Windows. I can’t give you a timeline but I won’t let it be another year of nothing.

I would suggest not saving up for large pulses. Set the auto-pulse to 50,000 or something like that.

I can’t say for sure, but there was probably a database corruption that screwed up the .wpw file for any people that either pulsed or requested new tokens over a certain and short period. Unfortunate, but these things happen.

The invalid token messages in the server’s log do seem to be a bit much. As I don’t get alot of oppertunities to check the forums, usually someone else makes me aware of certain threads, and unfortunately that did not happen in this case. Apologies.

I have just added a bunch of logging options to the server daemon, so I should be able to tell something more in a few hours. (when a few pulses have failed)

Whatever was causing it may have just been fixed, as I have finally been able to pulse after restarting my computer just now (due to an antivirus update). The collective 1,059,828 keys, 225,062 clicks, and 16.20 Miles. By far the biggest pulse I think I’ve ever done (I normally do below 10,000 key pulses).

So, thanks.

AFAIK nothing has been fixed, just verbose logging added to the server daemon. Probably something to do with your anti-virus.

Glad you got to pulse though! :slight_smile: