Dead Center Clicks

From the changelog for 2.3, it seems like the client is supposed to ignore clicks in the dead center of the screen. (First person shooter video games can really throw off your heatmap for the mouse.) However, my client continues to record them, and now after some heavy gameplay with certain FPS games my mouse heatmap for the last 3 months shows only a boring red dot in the center of my screen.

While looking online for a way to fix this, I was surprised to see that it should actually be fixed already, so what might be the problem? I’ve been running 2.3.1 on Windows 7. Any help would be great, 'cause the mouse and keyboard heatmaps are my favorite part of Whatpulse. It’s disappointing to see them screwed up.

I don’t know the exact method of ignoring these center clicks, but some games could be slower than mouse updates, so the cursor could actually wiggle around the center while moving the mouse, which could lead to clicks being registered a few pixels away from the exact center (assuming that only the single pixel in the center would be ignored) and counting them in.
There might also be a problem if you wanted to click in the center on purpose, but WP would ignore those as well, which wouldn’t be good for statistics and would devaluate the heatmap.
[hr]
I don’t know the exact method of ignoring these center clicks, but some games could be slower than mouse updates, so the cursor could actually wiggle around the center while moving the mouse, which could lead to clicks being registered a few pixels away from the exact center (assuming that only the single pixel in the center would be ignored) and counting them in.
There might also be a problem if you wanted to click in the center on purpose, but WP would ignore those as well, which wouldn’t be good for statistics and would devaluate the heatmap.

Maybe WP only ignores clicks almost exactly at the centre. It’s possible that a game could lock the mouse slightly off-centre. Or maybe it’s a problem with using different resolutions.

Which games? It might help to figure out whether it’s just 1 or 2, or all of them. Try playing one game on a particular day and see if it affects today’s heatmap. I also wonder if playing at a different resolution instead of your desktop resolution would make a difference.

So far, “Stanley’s Parable” “Team Fortress 2” “Orcs Must Die!”, and “Antichamber” are the games I’ve played and noticed the effects on. Unfortunately, that’s 4/4 of the FPS games I’ve played in the last few months, so it seems like it’s not just the game’s problem. I might try using a different resolution though, perhaps that is the problem! If there are any other suggestions though, I’m happy to hear them.

I’m having the same issue, too. It surprises me how few people seem to have it, too (with Version 2.3b3 on Windows 7 64 bit).

The heatmap is only usefull on days that I dont feel like playing things like Minecraft or FPSs… I just played Minecraft for 20 minutes and it turned the heatmap from this to this.

For me, the heatmap is the main reason why I installed WhatPulse and it would be so much more usefull, if this would work properly.

There isn’t really something I can focus on that is causing this for your system, but not everyone else’s…it might have something to do with the hardware, on which games adapt.

I’ll be sure to include an option to temporarily disable heatmap tracking in the next version.

Thank you for the reply, I would use that! :slight_smile:

If it helps, this is my hardware (linked to where I bought it, if not specific enough):

Motherboard: ASRock 890GX EXTREME3
Graphics Card: Powercolor HD5850 (PCI-e, 1GB GDDR5 Memory, HDMI, DVI, 1 GPU)
Processor: AMD Phenom II X6 1055T
Memory: Kingston KHX1600C9D3B1K2/8GX 8GB (1600 MHz, CL9) DDR3-RAM
Harddrive: Seagate Barracuda ST3000DM001 3TB (8,9 cm (3,5 Zoll), 7200rpm, 64MB Cache, SATA III)

Basically the only first person game I’ve got is Portal, and I tested with lots of left clicks, and then with lots of right clicks:

Left clicks - Mostly suppressed but not all, I got a small green dot in the centre of today’s heatmap. A shooter with hours of shooting would still throw off the heatmap.

Right clicks - Not suppressed at all, turned the small green dot into a big red one. Maybe you didn’t think to suppress both buttons? In Portal you shoot with both left and right clicks.