CPU usage spikes on OS X

WhatPulse is spiking 99% CPU usage every 15 seconds.


If you need any logs, let me know.

Client: WhatPulse 2.7

OS X 10.11.3 (15D21)
Model Name: MacBook Air
Model Identifier: MacBookAir7,2
Processor Name: Intel Core i7
Processor Speed: 2.2 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 2
L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 4 MB
Memory: 8 GB

I have the same issue.

Every 15 seconds CPU usage for Whatpulse spikes.

Model Name: MacBook Pro
Model Identifier: MacBookPro11,1
Processor Name: Intel Core i7
Processor Speed: 3 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 2
L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 4 MB
Memory: 16 GB
Boot ROM Version: MBP111.0138.B17
SMC Version (system): 2.16f68

Systemversion: OS X 10.11.4 (15E65)
Kernel-Version: Darwin 15.4.0

Whatpulse Version: 2.7

I had this issue already with Whatpulse 2.6.3 and also with OSX 10.11.3. So it should not be related to the only latest versions of these softwares.

I would be really glad about some help, as this is draining the battery faster than it should be.

Any help is highly appreciated.


Any response from a dev possible?

I find this lack of response disturbing.

Stopped using the Mac client. Got 1.5h more of battery life.


Sorry about the lack of response, something about this thread being buried in my view. I need a better system with these things. :-/

How I respect your decision to stop using it, I would like to ask a few questions, if you recall:

  • Did you have the network measurements enabled and have you ever tried to disable it?
  • Did you have the geek window open when this happened, or did it happen with it closed?


Thanks for your reply.

  1. The network measurement is enabled. Also every sub-option for that (except for the first one, as no premium user)
    But it makes no difference, if any measurement (input, network, uptime) is enabled or disabled. The cpu usage spikes continue.
    One interesting thing I just noticed while watching Activity Monitor: shortly before the Whatpulse process spikes up, the kernel_task does. It goes like: normal cpu usage → kernel_task up to 10-20% usage → kernel_task low again, but Whatpulse 35-50% usage → normal cpu usage.
    And this repeats and repeats. If I close the WhatPulse client, there are also no more cpu usage spikes for kernel_task. So it is somehow connected.

  2. The geek window is not opened when this happened. It also makes no difference if the main window is open or not (and WhatPulse just running in the background).


We’re looking into reproducing it and checking whether there’s something to optimise, as it’s proving rather hard to reproduce. It’s most likely a combination of applications/hardware/av that’s causing it, but I haven’t found the combo.