[CLOSED] Network traffic not recorded on Ubuntu 16.04 LTS

Hello!

I’m running Ubuntu 16.04 LTS on my workstation together with the latest version of WhatPulse (2.7.1).
Keys, Clicks and Uptime is recorded and pulsed correctly, but I am not able to get it to record Download and Upload without running it as root.

I have run: setcap cap_net_raw,cap_net_admin=eip ./whatpulse (even as root), but still, it doesn’t seem to have the correct permissions to record data.

Error I’m getting is:
DEBUG Couldn’t open device “eno1” : eno1: You don’t have permission to capture on that device (socket: Operation not permitted)

Workaround would be to run it as root, but then the GUI isn’t shown.

Hi,

Could you try a slightly different syntax? I’m seeing this one related to 16.04:

setcap ‘CAP_NET_RAW+eip CAP_NET_ADMIN+eip’ /path/to/whatpulse

Otherwise it might be an idea to run it with setuid:

chown root /path/to/whatpulse
chmod u+s /path/to/whatpulse

Sorry about the late reply! When I try the suggested command, I get:

Failed to set capabilities on file `/whatpulse’ (Invalid argument)
The value of the capability argument is not permitted for a file. Or the file is not a regular (non-symlink) file

I also tried changing owner of whatpulse to root as suggested.

Any idea to what else I could try?

Not for permanent, but try running it as root, see if that resolves the error and if it’s running properly.

If it does, then it’s still an issue of permissions. Maybe you’ve got selinux or something similar set up? If you’ve done the setcap stuff, I’m afraid I don’t have much else for you…