Client version 1.6: My bug report

Hi.

Since I installed 1.6 I get “Unable to update WhatPulse.xml”-errors. The error windows stack themselves unlimited so when I’m not at my computer I have to click tens of times to get the windows all closed. It occurs not always but I haven’t figured out yet when exactly.

Another thing: The bug from version 1.5 the context menu - sometimes - won’t come up when I rightclick the tray icon isn’t solved neither. You still have to kill the process and start whatpulse again to “solve” it.

And a third one: After I installed 1.6 and logged in for the first time I typed my password wrong. So the login window told me my password was wrong. Ok, I typed the right one and I think - I have not paid full attention - the same error message (wrong password) appears although everything works (password was right and my computers had been listed in die combobox).
Perhaps you should check this - I don’t feel like uninstalling and trying again…

edit:
Updater says “You have the latest version! (1.5)”. No, I got 1.6. This thing isn’t able to know which version it is!?

Er. Operating system, installation directory etcetc. Need more detail. If you want to stop this just uncheck ‘Generate local XML file every 5 minutes’ in the second tab in program settings.

Never heard of this… Under what circumstances can you reproduce this, or is it completely random? Does it happen with any other program?

[quote=theHacker]And a third one: After I installed 1.6 and logged in for the first time I typed my password wrong. So the login window told me my password was wrong. Ok, I typed the right one and I think - I have not paid full attention - the same error message (wrong password) appears although everything works (password was right and my computers had been listed in die combobox).
Perhaps you should check this - I don’t feel like uninstalling and trying again…

edit:
Updater says “You have the latest version! (1.5)”. No, I got 1.6. This thing isn’t able to know which version it is!?[/quote]

Both the above are known issues. The first (I only found out about it today, so good timing ;)) has been fixed for the next build, the second was just something that wasn’t updated on the website (I believe it’s been fixed now).

[quote=bobL]Er. Operating system, installation directory etcetc. Need more detail.[/quote]Sorry, my fault.

I’m using Windows XP Home Service Pack 2, German language. %AppData% lies under default path, but I have an ‘ü’ in my account name so the path has got one, too - perhaps this matters. In the directory there are the files
[LIST]
[]WhatPulse.wpw
[
]WhatPulse.wpw.bak
[*]WhatPulse.xml
[/LIST]The above two files have been updated minutes ago. This seems to work, but the WhatPulse.xml was changed last time today 0:09 when I turned my computer off. Since then the client didn’t (couldn’t he says g) update it.

WhatPulse itself is installed in D:\WhatPulse (so not on that drive where Windows is installed).

[quote=bobL]If you want to stop this just uncheck ‘Generate local XML file every 5 minutes’ in the second tab in program settings.[/quote]Worked. I’m not really using this file.

[quote=bobL]Never heard of this… Under what circumstances can you reproduce this, or is it completely random? Does it happen with any other program?[/quote]I think it might have to do with screensaver but I could not confirm that. I figured out it has nothing to do with the hangup when pulsing. But when exactly it happens … I don’t know.

[quote=theHacker]Sorry, my fault.

I’m using Windows XP Home Service Pack 2, German language. %AppData% lies under default path, but I have an ‘ü’ in my account name so the path has got one, too - perhaps this matters. In the directory there are the files
[LIST]
[]WhatPulse.wpw
[
]WhatPulse.wpw.bak
[*]WhatPulse.xml
[/LIST]The above two files have been updated minutes ago. This seems to work, but the WhatPulse.xml was changed last time today 0:09 when I turned my computer off. Since then the client didn’t (couldn’t he says g) update it.

WhatPulse itself is installed in D:\WhatPulse (so not on that drive where Windows is installed).
Worked. I’m not really using this file.
I think it might have to do with screensaver but I could not confirm that. I figured out it has nothing to do with the hangup when pulsing. But when exactly it happens … I don’t know.[/quote]

Well, if it’s saving the .wpw files, there’s no reason it shouldn’t be saving the .xml file. Are there any special characters in your account name?

When you right click the icon and it doesn’t display the menu, is it the green round dot?

I have the same problem with the XML, it won’t generate it after I’ve rebooted my computer.

Microsoft Windows XP Professional Service Pack 3 (more info in my mouse mileage thread :P)
Whatpulse is installed to “C:\Program\Whatpulse”
Saves things to “C:\Documents and Settings\Quarzi\Application Data\WhatPulse”

[quote=bobL]Well, if it’s saving the .wpw files, there’s no reason it shouldn’t be saving the .xml file.[/quote]But one file the client likes to write and the other it doesn’t :mrgreen:

[quote=bobL]Are there any special characters in your account name?[/quote]Yes, I posted already.

The full path of %AppData% is
C:\Dokumente und Einstellungen\Alexander Münch\Anwendungsdaten

[quote=bobL]When you right click the icon and it doesn’t display the menu, is it the green round dot?[/quote]Not nessecarily.

But I got that problem minutes ago. There was the green dot. I can hover over the icon and the tooltip appears. It also counts correct. But no reaction to a mouse click.

New problem - this issue occured also to others teammembers, not only to me:
An hour ago WhatPulse server had been down/overloaded and pulsing hang at the green dot. But the pulse had been received by the server (for example my pulse: 2009/03/16 15:09:54 1,904 719 0.07 0.41 0.16) and as a consequence I now get “invalid token”. All results between 15:09:54 and now are lost :evil:

Can you please ensure: If the server gets the pulse, to reset the client’s counter properly to avoid that “invalid token”.

[quote=theHacker]But one file the client likes to write and the other it doesn’t :mrgreen:

Yes, I posted already.

The full path of %AppData% is
C:\Dokumente und Einstellungen\Alexander Münch\Anwendungsdaten

Not nessecarily.

But I got that problem minutes ago. There was the green dot. I can hover over the icon and the tooltip appears. It also counts correct. But no reaction to a mouse click.[/quote]

I meant WhatPulse account name. Can you also check that WhatPulse.tpl is in your WhatPulse installation directory?

Not being able to right click the WhatPulse icon when it’s green is basically by design, but I’m looking into changing this for the next build anyway (along with invalid token errors).

[quote=bobL]I meant WhatPulse account name.[/quote]In my WhatPulse account name is nothing special. I use the same nick as here at the forums.

[quote=bobL]Can you also check that WhatPulse.tpl is in your WhatPulse installation directory?[/quote]Yes, is present.

[quote=bobL]Not being able to right click the WhatPulse icon when it’s green is basically by design, but I’m looking into changing this for the next build anyway (along with invalid token errors).[/quote]Let’s hope 1.6.2 will be released soon. Are there any guesses when it will be available?

Okay I simply can’t see how you were getting error messages off 1.6 for the XML file. I also cannot see how it’s saving to %APPDATA%.

The only way it would generate errors in the first place is if it couldn’t write to the file, which means another process is using it or Windows is, for some reason, blocking it from updating. Either way I can’t reproduce and thus can’t fix it. Could be an anti-virus or erroneous and over-zealous security setting somewhere. Still doesn’t explain why it’s saving it to %APPDATA% though.

Also I’m quite sure the invalid token errors are server-side and not to do with the client. There have been a few issues with them.

Not generating XML file after reboot:
Yeah, this seems to be an issue with all the settings not saving on Windows shutdown. Looking into it…