Cannot find the given file, then unknown server msg

Hello all,

Since about 20mins I’m getting the following error message when I try to pulse:
“Het systeem kan het opgegeven bestand niet vinden.” (which means ‘The system cannot find the given file.’), followed by “Unknown server message, please try again later.”.
It doesn’t say which file could not be found.
I have tried the following:

• Token reset: gave the exact same errors, did not do anything (keycount is still the same).
  • Uninstalling whatpulse and reinstalling again: still kept my keycount (wtf? Isn’t uninstalling supposed to remove the program and it’s data from your system?), and after trying to pulse it gave the same error. Token reset also gave the same result.
  • Googled it: only gave 1 result from another forum or blog or whatever it was, one of the comments there said he/she was getting that error with an edit saying ‘seems it happens a lot last days for the current version’ with a link to the subforum/board this topic is in too. No topiclink or quote there. I did read it was about whatpulse.wpw or something though, haven’t looked for that on my system yet. Wouldn’t know what should be in anyway. Second and third page from the google results also didn’t give any results.
  • Pulsing on another computer (same account, other computername) worked fine.

My username is [GMOT]lucb1e (computer name Netbook1215N) and I’m running Windows 7 32bit. I’m logged in as administrator and UAC is disabled, didn’t start whatpulse via rightclick>run as admin (don’t think that’ll help).

Any thoughts?
Maybe uninstall whatpulse manually and completely (so it forgets the keycount and account and such)?

[quote=lucb1e]Hello all,

Since about 20mins I’m getting the following error message when I try to pulse:
“Het systeem kan het opgegeven bestand niet vinden.” (which means ‘The system cannot find the given file.’), followed by “Unknown server message, please try again later.”.
It doesn’t say which file could not be found.
I have tried the following:

• Token reset: gave the exact same errors, did not do anything (keycount is still the same).
  • Uninstalling whatpulse and reinstalling again: still kept my keycount (wtf? Isn’t uninstalling supposed to remove the program and it’s data from your system?), and after trying to pulse it gave the same error. Token reset also gave the same result.
  • Googled it: only gave 1 result from another forum or blog or whatever it was, one of the comments there said he/she was getting that error with an edit saying ‘seems it happens a lot last days for the current version’ with a link to the subforum/board this topic is in too. No topiclink or quote there. I did read it was about whatpulse.wpw or something though, haven’t looked for that on my system yet. Wouldn’t know what should be in anyway. Second and third page from the google results also didn’t give any results.
  • Pulsing on another computer (same account, other computername) worked fine.

My username is [GMOT]lucb1e (computer name Netbook1215N) and I’m running Windows 7 32bit. I’m logged in as administrator and UAC is disabled, didn’t start whatpulse via rightclick>run as admin (don’t think that’ll help).

Any thoughts?
Maybe uninstall whatpulse manually and completely (so it forgets the keycount and account and such)?[/quote]

Uninstall WhatPulse then search your system for ‘whatpulse.wpw’ and ‘whatpulse.wpw.bak’, delete them, and then proceed to reinstall.

~Century0

• Removed whatpulse;
  • A full drive search is still running, but I found the files in %appdata%\Whatpulse and removed the entire directory.
  • Reinstalled Whatpulse;
  • Login screen appears this time (or the “WhatPulse Setup Assistant”), but when I try to request my computers list it gives the same errors.
  • The ‘request computers’ button disappears after the error, but I can’t click login.
  • Tried again (closed and relaunched program) with an unexisting account, same errors.

edit: The search didn’t return any other results. I’m actually stupid, forgot to try the magic fix for all weird windows problems: rebooting! Going to try that now :slight_smile:

edit2: It took a moment longer, but same errors…

edit3: Searched through the registry, couldn’t find any invalid file references.

This is strange. Are you behind any firewalls, corporate networks, or routers?

~Century0

I’m behind a router, but it has always worked before (for months). Hmmm, i did update the router/modem (fritzbox has it both in one device) firmware just before I got the error. Any suggestions to check if it’s that?
All other computers, who are behind the same NAT router/modem, have no problems. Though none are running Win7 like this laptop.

I’d be surprised if it’s the network though. The error is in dutch so it can’t be from the whatpulse servers or program, it has to be something from Windows… Or that’s just my theory…

[quote=lucb1e]I’m behind a router, but it has always worked before (for months). Hmmm, i did update the router/modem (fritzbox has it both in one device) firmware just before I got the error. Any suggestions to check if it’s that?
All other computers, who are behind the same NAT router/modem, have no problems. Though none are running Win7 like this laptop.

I’d be surprised if it’s the network though. The error is in dutch so it can’t be from the whatpulse servers or program, it has to be something from Windows… Or that’s just my theory…[/quote]

Mhmm. I’m going to leave this for bobL or wasted to comment on, because I’m not truly certain. Windows 7 has done a lot of strange things with WP that I’ve yet to figure out completely to be able to give you a full answer.

~Century0

Okay, thanks for the help so far!

Just tried from another network (schools’, not using a proxy), still same problem. It’s not my router…

I’d say that makes sense. Try the other magic fix in the mythical handbook of solving all Windows problems: reinstall. Windows, not WhatPulse. Or spend days pulling your hair out trying to figure out exactly which part of the system is broken (maybe the router update did something to your Win configuration? I wouldn’t know, I don’t have a Fritzbox, so this is just wild guessing).

Anyway, looks to me like nobody here can help you.

I won’t go into the lin vs win war, already did too often :stuck_out_tongue:

[quote]Try the other magic fix in the mythical handbook of solving all Windows problems: reinstall. Windows, not WhatPulse.[/quote]You’re probably right that it would work, but it’s more work to reinstall everything than spend a couple days pulling my hair out. I’m quite a configuration freak, and everything is pretty much right at the moment, only whatpulse is bugging…

[quote]looks to me like nobody here can help you.[/quote]I guessed as much, will try to fix when I got some time… which probably is not very soon. Will post here again if I find out.

What? :confused:
I just said that it looks like something’s messed up, and that reinstallation would probably be the easiest way to fix it. Nowhere have I compared one operating system to another.

No but generally people complain about how crappy windows is put together, and your subtitle is “Linux Client Developer” :wink:

Odd, I haven’t really had time to look into this myself a lot, but today I thought “let’s try run as admin once again”. It shouldn’t matter, UAC is off and I’m logged in as admin, and i also tried this before, but today it suddenly worked…
Just opened the start menu, all programs, rightclick on whatpulse and run as admin. Logging in worked fine :slight_smile:

Not sure if I need to do this every boot (else there’ll probably be some setting in the shortcut or file properties), will edit when I find out.

[quote=lucb1e]Odd, I haven’t really had time to look into this myself a lot, but today I thought “let’s try run as admin once again”. It shouldn’t matter, UAC is off and I’m logged in as admin, and i also tried this before, but today it suddenly worked…
Just opened the start menu, all programs, rightclick on whatpulse and run as admin. Logging in worked fine :slight_smile:

Not sure if I need to do this every boot (else there’ll probably be some setting in the shortcut or file properties), will edit when I find out.[/quote]

Windows provides a permanent checkbox for run as admin in the properties menu.

~Century0