BUG: DirectInput8Create() failed!

Whenever I open WhatPulse, it comes up with this error:

DirectInput8Create() failed!

It then shows the splash screen, and then opens Visula Studio Just-in-Time Debugger displaying this error:

An unhandled win32 exception occurred in WhatPulse.exe [2640].

I have tried restarting Windows, deleting Whatpulse.wpw and re-installing. Nothing has worked. Help?

What’s your directX version and what OS are you on?

DX: DirectX 9.0c

I was going to upload a DxDiag, but upon loading, it came up with another error message:

Error: Problem getting input info, result code = 0x80004005 (General failure)

Should I go to a generic tech support site, assuming this is the root of my WhatPulse problem?

I personally can’t help. Does seem to be a problem with your computer but I can’t say what. Maybe someone else on the forums can but you can give another forum a go for sure.

If you do find out, please let us know so we know for future issues and also possible fixes!

[quote=sabrefang]OS: XP Professional
DX: DirectX 9.0c

I was going to upload a DxDiag, but upon loading, it came up with another error message:

Error: Problem getting input info, result code = 0x80004005 (General failure)

Should I go to a generic tech support site, assuming this is the root of my WhatPulse problem?[/quote]

Hi, out of curiosity, have you tried reinstalling DirectX? It seems that your graphics card is having trouble being hooked by it, or that you have a bad install.

As well, can I get a screenshot of all the programs in your Task Manager? (ctrl-alt-del) You’re welcome to just email this to me () or message me for privacy reasons. You can also just post it in this topic. Whichever option floats your boat is fine with me.

And one last thought, I have heard of this happening in Gateway computers due to glitches in a few pieces of pre-installed software.

~Century0

The microsoft website says somthing along these lines, it also says to make sure that all drivers are up to date (I’m guessing this is refering to graphics cards), and to make sure you have the latest service pack installed.

Hope that helps,

Chris

I tried reinstalling DX, to no avail. No driver updates were required, I am not running a Gateway computer, and I am running Service Pack 3.

I am not currently allowed to post links to other sites, apparently, so I will send a PM to Century0 with the tasklist in it, and hopefully you can post it up here for all to see, analyse and fix. :slight_smile:

Hope it helps.

[quote=sabrefang]I tried reinstalling DX, to no avail. No driver updates were required, I am not running a Gateway computer, and I am running Service Pack 3.

I am not currently allowed to post links to other sites, apparently, so I will send a PM to Century0 with the tasklist in it, and hopefully you can post it up here for all to see, analyse and fix. :slight_smile:

Hope it helps.[/quote]

Odd, the only thing I can see in there that could even remotely break it is vmware, and that seems highly unlikely. :confused:

~Century0

I’ve found no explanation and don’t really want to reinstall Windows. Help? Please?

This is the first error of it’s kind and I don’t know the answer, but there is a chance it could be VMWare. Is there a way you can disable VMWare and try?

II’m not going to pretend to know what I’m on about here, but maybe the following will help?

I just googled the following:

and found this link, not sure if it will help but it might be worth a look.

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/forums/en-US/vsdebug/thread/a52eb0ae-bcd8-4043-9661-d5fc3aa5167c/

Also somone else mensioned on another forum somthing about DEP (Data Execution Prevention), making sure that it was turned on only for essential Windows programs and services only.

(You can get to DEP by: Right click my computer > Properties > Performace Settings > Data Execution Prevension)

This may help: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/817858

I ended all VMWare services from services.msc and booted up WhatPulse, to no avail. I have no clue.